Best Citadel Wash for Greys

Blacklight

Hi there all.

I'm just getting into the hobby and I've got a venerable dreadnought in the mail to me. I went to the local Hobby Lobby today and picked up some colors for the scheme I came up with for my DIY chapter. They didn't have any washes there unfortunately, so I'll have to most likely order some pots online. I'm planning to base coat the model in gray, with a slightly lighter gray for the main color. I'll be drybrushing metallic silver on the edges for a bit of wear, with brass and gold for accents like the archways. My big question is, which Citadel wash (or washes) should I aim for? I'm a beginner, like I said, and this is my first model ever. I've seen videos that use the washes and it seems like a very effective way to get a model shaded to some degree but I don't want to grab the wrong colors for the job. If I can I'll post some pictures once I get the base coat and the silver down.

Thanks for any tips!

Thanks. I figured Badab Black would be the way to go but I wanted to check before I ordered any. The paints I picked up aren't Citadel, they're Testors I believe. The Hobby Lobby near me doesn't carry 40k and I just needed paints to get cracking before I failed the painting challenge.

Cool, Badab Black it is.

And another quick question along the same lines... I'm an idiot, and failed to realize I ordered the old metal version of the venerable dread. I looked up some info on painting pewter and metal and the stuff I bought should still be fine, but when I do the wash is there anything I need to worry about or is it going to be basically the same method?

For metals, it might take one (or seven) coats to get on enough of a base for the paint to stick properly. It's a pain in the ass, really, since my giant Venerable Paperweight took me over two weeks to paint because the paint kept running off into corners. That was a while ago, and I've learned a lot since then, and it really pays to be patient.

As far as throwing a wash on metal, it's really no different once you get the colour on the thing, it's just heavier to hold on to. :D If you thin them out a little bit (a tiny drop of dish soap, or floor polish to break surface tension and make it run smoother), it might take a few goes to get the shading right, but when you do, you'll almost INSTANTLY notice a difference in quality. Your dude will look that much more bad-assical.

Acryls and Enamels, gloss and flat, Masters line and more. Testors is where it's at! (I'm a fan)

For metals, it might take one (or seven) coats to get on enough of a base for the paint to stick properly. It's a pain in the ass, really, since my giant Venerable Paperweight took me over two weeks to paint because the paint kept running off into corners. That was a while ago, and I've learned a lot since then, and it really pays to be patient.
Did you undercoat it? For me, every single metal model has only needed a single coat of anything to be perfect.

Back to the topic, here's the skinny with washing greys. Grey is a wonderful color to give a wash to, as realistically you can use pretty much any wash to give it a neat tone. It's not quite as bright as white and obviously more malleable than black. With that in mind, here are my suggestions:

Do you want a warm colored tone? For instance, grey clothes and pavement are usually "warmer." Use Baal Red, Gryphonne Sepia, Ogryn Flesh, or Devlan Mud for your washes.

Do you want a cool colored tone? For instance, ship hulls and storm clouds are usually "cooler." Use Asurman Blue, Leviathan Purple, or Thrakka Green for your washes.

Do you just want shading for grey? Good ol' Badab Black is your preferred wash then, and usually looks awesome.

One way to use them is to paint the wash over the entire model. This usually ensures an even coverage and equal tone on all surfaces. Then you go back over places you want the base color and use it on them. A different way to use them is with a very steady hand :P. Applying the washes to just the cracks/crevices is also very effective and looks good.

I grabbed a flat gray primer spray for the base coat. For the actual gray I got a standard flat gray (acrylic - I checked that especially :D ) and a metallic silver for drybrushing the edges and the like. For purity seals and the eyes I got a bright red and another dark red for drybrushing (or the other way around, not sure yet). Black for cabling and such, and writing on the seals. A sort of bone/tan for the purity seal parchment. Metallic brass and metallic gold for arches, ornamentation, etc.

As for a wash I'm aiming just for shading, though the cooler look might work as well. I might order a few just to have them on hand.

And I'm glad there's some fans of Testors ;) I'm going to be testing my skills on an old Star Destroyer model I bought awhile back and never painted before I get cracking on the Dreadnought. Hopefully it'll turn out well - I'll be sure to post some WIP pictures and I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure :D

Archived