Spray Primer Query

BloodWulf

Hey all, in my attempts at creating my Carcharodons Army I am looking for tips on what primer to use to spray them with. They will end up being a nice medium gray like the Revilers in the Codex: Space Marines. They will have a darker gray shoulder Pauldrons and some other bits, a white face and some small bits done in a dark red for contrast.

So my real question is what brand of spray primers or even paints are you guys using?

For spray primer, I typically go with Citadel's Chaos Black (yes, I know it's not really a primer, I just find it works for my purposes). However, I've taken to expanding the repertoire depending on what the primary color of the model is going to end up being; example - my World Eaters are getting hit with Army Painter's Primer Red first, then layered into the shade of red I desire from there. For grey, like your project, I'd go with Testor's Armor Grey (which is really dark) and then build it with Codex Grey and Vallejo's Cold Grey (both are lighter shades of grey than the primer but not as light as Fortress Grey or as blue as Shadow Grey). That should give you a really good slate/shale grey color like what you're after.

I use this stuff: Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer.

Pros:

- goes on super thin

- incredibly durable (seriously, my metal IG have been rattling around in a plastic box for over a year; no chips)

- easy to get a solid coat

- adjustable nozzle (neat!)

- super cheap ($3 at Walmart, $4.29 at ACE)

Cons:

- sometimes goes on a little too thin; not so good for terrain spraying

Plus, they have grey, which is what I use for my IG. I think it'd be perfect for your needs.

For black or grey I use the Duplicolor spray. Goes on really smooth and light and gives great coverage without obscuring details.

If I need a coloured primer I use the Krylon Camoflague range for military colours or the Army Painter range

I'm mostly using P3 primer these days because it goes on so thin that it would actually be difficult to obscure detail with it. I wrote up a little blog entry about some of the other primers that I've used recently if you're interested - http://jayadan.com/content/thoughts-miniature-primers

AFAIK the P3 Primer is the exact same as the Duplicolor primer. So if you can get that range at your hardware or automotive store then get it there as it is less expensive.

Duplicolor Primer, in either black, white or gray, is the best I've ever used. Smooth coverage, and I haven't had any difficulties with undesirable textures. GW and Armory have been far too unpredictable for me over the years. Krylon is okay-- but Duplicolor seems to have a finer "tooth" to the finished coat. From my experience, Krylon may fill in a few fine details here and there. I don't have that experience with the Duplicolor primer. Much cheaper than GW, too.

YMMV.

Archived