Taking The Plunge

wellfan79

Ok Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice.

I have recently decided to start a dark angels army originally i was gonna do raptors but the chapter symbol was a pain in the **** to paint so i've decided to do dark angels. Havin been out the hobby since third edition im unsure of the best way to assemble my purchases. Now i must say im more interested in assemblig my angels more along the lines of a traditional codex chapter with green termies and bikes instead of deathwing and ravenwing, although i may do a deathwing squad at a later date (maybe a retinue for commander).

On to the purchases then i bought 1 space marine battilion, 1 ravenwing battilion box, 1 dark angel vets box, a paint set and a command squad. Now i plan on turning the landspeedder into a jeep and some of the bikes into quads or leave the speeder and make the bikes jetbikes. I have assembled a five man squad of mk6 beakies with flamer and am currently gettin them painted up. i am lookin for advice on weapon loadouts for squads etc.

I intend to assemble the following (subject to advice)

2 10 man tac squads not sure on wep loadouts

1 scout squad bp and knife heavy bolter sarge with bp and chainsword ( so i can use them in ultramarines game)

1 assault squad 5 man weapons unknown

1 rhino

still not decided what to do with the ravenwing box yet (land based or skimmers) not sure about the command box either might just spread bits out through squads.

the dark angel vet box has not arrived yet. i wanted the battalion box but cant find it anywhere.

The colour scheme i have settled on is as folows

undercoat knarloc green overbrush goblin green edgehighlights goblin green line whole model blackwash then wash whole thing with green wash heavily weathered with scorchmarks, chips etc and mud/dried dirt around feetles. this is lighter than most dark angels but i like it hopefully i'll get a shot of a digital camera next time my parents visit to share my attempts with the wider community. Basing wise ive gone for a kind of muddy forest/ jungle theme im using dried basil instead of flock. as i feel it gives a kind of wet forest floor look.

Penultimately future purchases i do intend to add a terminator squad more tanks and stuff but undecided for now.

Thanks for takin the time to read this rather ramblin post and any advice is greatly appreciated

Team Dave

I am not that good so I really can't give advice. All I can say, since you have your colour scheme started, just start painting. Do a few "test marines" and see if you really like it. All I know, I thought I had my colour scheme and as I started painting, I changed my mind. So do a few test subjects to see if you actually like the final result. Paint up with what you have, have a few small games if you like to play at small points, and then see what you need.

Go with what you had fun, and what youi didn't have fun with. Maybe not what you are looking for, but I hope it helps. Trust me, you will have a few people say you want those termies. Since you want to do them later, yust go with what you have and go on from there.

Archived