Forgeworld Minis

BloodWulf

Greetings again,

First thanks for all the help in picking a spray primer! Now for the next part of the army building plan for my Carcharodons.

Since this is my just for kicks fun army that I want to have I am in no real rush to finish them (but I am still anxious to do so). One of the things I want to do to get them to look like the images in Imperial Armour 10 is to order some of the Mk IV, Mk V, and Mk VI power armor sets from Forgeworld and mix them into the Marines of my army.

The last time I ordered anything from them was 2003 and frankly the quality was hit and miss. I got some great Drednought Plasma Cannons and some complete trash bits for a Vindicator (before the nice plastic kit came out). Whats the quality like these days? Anyone got pics of some of these minis they are using in their armies? I know they are expensive but I plan to spread out the ordering over the next year or so, and I may not even do the Mk VI's as I might be able to piece enough of them together from other bits and some generous friends and colleagues.

THanks again for the help!

The general opinion is that they lack quality control still on occasions. Out of the (maybe 10?) infantry kits I've had from them over the years I've only ever had one problem amd it was quickly replaced when I got hold of them. They are usually very good at sending out replacements for iffy components though, so at least they admit it and provide a solution.

There's often issues with warping on thinner/longer parts - lasgun barrels and similar. These they expect you to sort yourself with hot water or hair dryer etc. It's pretty daunting at first as we all know those guns ain't cheap, it's ok once you've done it a couple of times though.

As for the models in question, have a set of Mk IV and they're a really nice little kit, great detail etc, but (as with all of the old armour sets) not much in the way of pose variety!

I say go for it, take your time and learn how to wok best with the resin. If you have any problems call, they apparently aren't the best at e-mail responses, and they'll help you out. Sounds like a cool projet so good luck!

When I bought the Red Scorpions Honour Guad squad two of the big axes were snapped in half upon arrival, and the sword in the character upgrade set was also bent in an irredeemable way.

But they are really thin parts. I didn't complain as I wasn't going to use them anyway, but I would have been cheesed off had I wanted them.

Everything that makes up a marine is fine though - the Mk II and III and the Red Scorpion set have been fine for me, as have all the shoulder pads, space wolves upgrades etc.

My only other beef with them was the pain in the arse that is the Caestus Assault Ram. A simpler to assemble kit you could not find, but nothing lines up properly and there are gaps abound. For £20 I can accept a warped hand or bent axe, for £100 I expect it to at least be moulded correctly.

I've ordered a few dread's which I'm still waiting to paint (a bit scared to start and ruin them heh). But last week I received terminator lord Zhulfor and the nurgle sorcerer, and these guys quality were fine, I dropped Zhulfor and the khorne Icon on his head broke but I didn't want it anyway heh.

Acually there email is not bad. After 6 weeks of waiting for my order (christmas time, weather and such I decided to wait a little longer) i emailed them and had a return email the next morning and the model arrived the next week. I'd call that pretty good service. They even sent it expidited ups which i did not pay for the first time.

This feedback is good to hear. I'm waiting on some Red Scorpions stuff to arrive (mostly bits, but also Culln and the Venerable Dreadnought), and knowing that they're responsive to problems is comforting. The only other issue (not their fault) is the time it takes to get stuff... I ordered all those bits at least a month ago and they still haven't made it to Americaland yet.

You know, the detail on their work is beautiful, but I doubt I will be buying from them again. I ordered BA land Raider Doors, BA DC rhino doors, BA rhino doors, and some BA Icons. The doors are going to require a lot of trimming to make them fit, and then more time with green stuff to fix parts that were too small, plus they are warped like none other. And I have just written off the icons as the excess resin around them is just too thick considering the delicacy of the icons themselves. In some cases the excess resin is thicker then the icons themselves. So yeah, I will likely never buy resin from them again. Its just too expensive for the amount of work I have to do to make it work. On the other hand the etched brass I got from them is fantastic and I will definately be purchasing more of that. Easy to work with, looks great, and I would highly reccomend the Forge World Etched brass to anyone thinking about it. And the value considering how you pay for the sprue compared to how much detail you can add to your army is fantastic. One etched brass sprue goes a VERY long way.

I tend to just use a very small strip of glue where it is going to end up being. Then I grab it just between the tip of my fingers, but far enough back the brass will not touch when the tips of my fingers touch the side of the mini. Then I position my hands on either side of the thin line and squeze my fingers in so it pushed the brass out and onto the mini. Seems to work okay, there may be better ways but this has worked so far.

Their overall quality is great, some warping can occur from time to time (I've only had one warped item from them and I've ordered tons of stuff, both infantry and vehicles/walkers/icons alike).

IF anything is broken or warped they will compensate you with at least the same part for free, my last time anything happened it was a tiny bone of the banner of the ven SW dread was broken off, and since they took a bit long with the replacement I got both a replacement banner AND an entirely brand new extra venerable SW dread as compensation :devil:

Archived