Scratch-Built Titan

Dominicus

At my school we have a Games Club. We want to have a Titan, as it would be a great centerpiece and a way to draw people to the club. However, we do not have enough money to buy a Forgeworld titan, and we need to build this thing fast! (as fast as possible). If anyone here knows how to build one, what materials to use, etc., please post here! You would be doing our club a HUGE favour!

At my school we have a Games Club. We want to have a Titan, as it would be a great centerpiece and a way to draw people to the club. However, we do not have enough money to buy a Forgeworld titan, and we need to build this thing fast! (as fast as possible). If anyone here knows how to build one, what materials to use, etc., please post here! You would be doing our club a HUGE favour!

Ok first of all you need to decide what type of titan you want... The major Imperial Titan catagories being Warhound Scout titan (12 inches high), Reaver Battle Titan (16 inches), Warlord battle Titan 24-30 inches and The Emperor class battle titans where I think you are looking at about 36 inches + battlements. Now some really good templates for making warhound titans exist if you want to make one of those and templates also exist for Reaver titans although I havem't seen any as good as the Warhound templates.

As far as I know there are no templates for the Emperor and Warlord class titans however a lot of it is a matter of scale when compared to the Reaver and as you get different patterns you can feel free to do a bit of your own design. The big ones also seem scary but in some ways they can be easier to make that the little ones and certainly get peoples attention.

You can use a number of materials to build a titan. Now first if you are build a larger one without a template what you might what is something like wood, pipe, rod or foam (solid foam that you can carve) which you can make a frame or cut the the basic shape of the titan. With the big titans it is a good idea to build them so the torso comes off the legs for transportation and also the arms from the torso (this also allows for weapon swaps and you may want to make it so you can swop torso mounted weapons as well).

Once you have built the frame you will want to start building the Hull and plating (and this is where the first bits of basic detail come in) and to do this you will want to use stuff like cardboard and plasticard. You should then have the basic outline of your titan. If you don't have much experiance you may want to just try and make a basic one with only a few major details but you can go totally nuts putting in walkways control panels, interior details and all sorts of bits and bobs if you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived