Lost Legions and The First Heretic

gil galed

So just finished reading TFH and I thought it was awesome, definetly one of the best in the series so far (which is saying something given how generally awesome the series is)

Something however which really struck me and that I haven't seen much discussion on is how much it opens up questions on the two legions.

In various parts of the book Lorgar comes tantalizingly close to revealing exactly what happened and part of my half thought we might finally find out (although I knew we wouldn't, argh ADB you're too good a writer!)

But the main point I feel is Lorgar and Magnus discuss how close Lorgar himself came to be excommunicated in the same way as the other two for his worship of the Emperor.

Also I liked the part where Argel-tal sees the infant primarch in his gestation pod and muses upon it's future.

I feel this could lead us to speculate as to exactly what happened, certainly we know it wasn't heresy in the Horus sense, but perhaps heresy on the same lines as Lorgar? Maybe pursuing Artificial Intelligence or perhaps fraternizing with xenos? Certainly by the sounds of it they didn't simply get beaten and destroyed by a powerful enemy.

Any thoughts?

~Gil :tu:

This again ? :tu:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Two_unknown_legions

Legions II and XI are stated as having "all records expunged from the library". Earlier background (Codex Imperialis and second edition's Ultramarines codex) less ambivalently states that the records for these two Legions were deleted following the Heresy.

From what I gather there I believe one of the two Legions joined Horus and the other one didn't, but perhaps like you said befriended Xenos filth (Both reasons enough to be disgraced.)

edit: Just read your last part again, might be me but I didn't feel it was that obvious that they would be removed from history for other kinds of heresy.

From what I gather there I believe one of the two Legions joined Horus and the other one didn't, but perhaps like you said befriended Xenos filth (Both reasons enough to be disgraced.)

Actually the HH series make it quite clear that they both fall before the heresy :)

~Gil

I feel this could lead us to speculate as to exactly what happened, certainly we know it wasn't heresy in the Horus sense, but perhaps heresy on the same lines as Lorgar? Maybe pursuing Artificial Intelligence or perhaps fraternizing with xenos? Certainly by the sounds of it they didn't simply get beaten and destroyed by a powerful enemy.

I don't think that you will ever find out what happens because that's why the 40K background is great. There is lots of nuggets of half truths and rumours within the background and it's these things which get us talking. I imagine that Alan Merrett (GW Lord of IP and Background) has a good idea what happened which may have been hinted to the Heresy writers, but I can't see any more that that.

I suspect that ADB may have asked if he could do add something like this in his book to help progress the story and show how close Lorgar came to joining his two brothers.

Personally, it's nice not to know and let us speculate upon interweb forums and chats during gaming in real life :)

Actually the HH series make it quite clear that they both fall before the heresy :rolleyes:

~Gil

So it seems, my bad (I was still reading TFH yesterday, finished it now :lol: )

Archived