painting black?

I'm not a master painter so if someone corrects me on this, go with what they say.

But I don't think you can shade black. It's always been my experience that you high light black. Basically shading is used for going from light to darkness while High lighting is used for going from Dark to light. Since Black is already about has dark as you can go, you can't shade it.

You may want to try something my friend uses. He paints his models Astronomican Grey (very light grey) and then gives them several layers of black wash, which results in very grim near-black with nicely accented textures. Easy and quick.

Hm. Astronomican Grey is actually very DARK grey. It's a foundation paint and I used a thinned down version to make my 'dark smoke' Grey Knight terminators.

Anyways, the resulting technique of applying a lighter colour and several washes of black would likely turn out pretty awesome.

The short answer is no-- you can't shade black because it's already as dark as it gets. However, you can fool the eye into thinking the armor is black when really it isn't, and shade from there. It really depends on your color scheme, but for example you could mix necron abyss and black for a really dark blue, and then shade with a black wash. This would also work with Scorched Brown if you wanted a 'warm' black, etc.

Another trick is to skip shading and use two types of highlights, with a wash to bring them together. I like black highlighted with dark blue with a thin highlight of fenris grey, then with badab black over it. The wash tones down the stark highlights and makes it look cohesive. Fair warning however it does take a bit of experimentation and practice.

An easier process is a black primer with dark blue drybrush (regal blue, etc) followed by a very light medium grey drybrush (Adeptus battlegrey, etc). Done correctly it still looks black, but picks out the details well.

On the tires and boltguns mounted to my bikes (plus the meltaguns) I started with Adeptus Battlegrey, shaded with Space Wolf Grey then pure Skull White.

Add 3-5 coats of Black wash depending on your preferences and then if you feel you want some spot shading you can apply pure Chaos Black to said spots.

Archived