Marking out Veterans

MagicMan

Well, for one thing, look at the metal sternguard models. They don't look to much different from tactical marines. They would all mike fine tac marine sergeants. But on thing that really stands out for me is the different boltgun magazine - you can get bits for that from terminator stormbolters or from those on the sm vehicle accessory sprue, for example from preds and razors where you do not need the stormbolter for the vehicle.

That bit, imo, symbolizes the different ammunition types available. I imagine they have some kind of switch on their mags and each magazine contains all three types, so they don't have to change them all the time.

If you don't have enough of them, you could try casting them for yourself with a GS mould.

Change the color of the helmet.my friend uses red helmets for all his sgt's and vets.

I'd second this as it's the simplest and most cost-effective way to differentiate the veterans from the normal battle brothers.

My advice would be to go back to the ideas that inspired you to choose your colour scheme in the first place and consider an alternate helmet colour that while being different to the white helmets of the standard marines still fits with the feel of the chapter you had in mind.

Thanks for the replies!

Originally i was going to have the black bits of the armour red, but i didn't want them to look like a blood angels successor.

So hopefully red will go well with the scheme, ill paint up one of the AoBR mini's this way, and post it up.

Thanks for the replies!

Originally i was going to have the black bits of the armour red, but i didn't want them to look like a blood angels successor.

So hopefully red will go well with the scheme, ill paint up one of the AoBR mini's this way, and post it up.

You could also paint laurels (spelling?) on their helmets... I'm pretty sure that is one of codex approved methods to show who is either a veteran or sgt... I can't remember which it is used for... although a veteran sgt could have them either way...

If that shoulder rim is supposed to be gold, I\'d make the vets\' helms gold.

Yeah, that was something i\'d considered, too. Or gold chest-pieces.

Heres a few mock ups on the SM Painter of things i thought looked alright.

spacemarine.jpg

sm.php?b62c=@hg0HV_i1ctR.hXUnI@@@@___hiDEK_.@@._@@@@@@@@@@@_i4OxL_i4OxL@@@@@@@@@@.hJvG9@@@___@@_@@@@iakk7iakk7&

sm.php?b62c=@hg0HV_hJrlf.hXUnI@@@@___hzEGD_.@@.i1ctR@@@@@@@@@@@i1ctRi4OxLi1ctRi4OxL@@@@@@@@@@.hJvG9@@@___@@_@@@@iakk7iakk7&

[...]

[...]

[...]

C. Paint their helmets or kneepads or whatever a different color or design

[...]

Paint one of their arms red. :)

And vet sarges get both arms red. It's like the Crimson Fists just with crimson arms. :)

1rst company colors are white/silver for shoulder trims or whatever bit you mark to show the company color, if you run by codex markings., Would be a change to do the vets with silver trims if yer regular marines use gold(which is 2nd company)

If you go for red helmets for both sgts and vets they may kill the real esence from a 'regular sgt, veteran and Vet sgt'

I like the red stripe vet marking....what if you gave the sgts in tact squads the red stripe....

Vets with the laurel

And vet sgts with both?

You could also paint laurels (spelling?) on their helmets... I'm pretty sure that is one of codex approved methods to show who is either a veteran or sgt... I can't remember which it is used for... although a veteran sgt could have them either way...

This is what I was going to suggest. I usually give Sergeants a different colored helmet (or no helmet to make them stand out a bit more), and then paint laurels on Veterans' helmets. Veteran Sergeants have a different colored helmet and laurels.

Example:

Tactical Marine - White Helmet

Tactical Sergeant - Red Helmet

Veteran Marine - White Helmet w/ Laurels

Veteran Sergeant - Red Helmet w/ Laurels

Archived