Looking for help with base ideas.

Sinful eyes

Hey everyone.

I recently started painting Space Marines and i am painting them red. Always loved the Blood Angel fluff so i decided they would be my second army. Having a new codex did help (My first army was Necrons, wich i felt got a little boring after 5th ed was released *sadface*). So now i need to decide how to base them. I was hoping some people had any ideas on some collors that would help contrast a bit with red. For a theme i was thinking WW 1 battlefield styles, no mans land bombed out wastelands with trenches ect. Not to sure what collors to use on this though. So.. thoughts?

Thanks in advance :Elite:

@ Random Name: Was thinking more no mans land, something emperor-forsaken, bombed out, fought over many, many times ect.

@ Durus: Thanks for the link, looks pretty good.

Any tips on where to get little bits and pieces (Bodies, razor wire, ect.)? I only have necrons and Space marines, and in my mind i see the imperial guard fighting before the space marines get called in. Some odd skulls and bones would be nice also.

Thanks!

personally I would avoid brown, unless its a dark brown.

Your models will be red....and brown has its base in red. The colours wont contrast enough.

I'd recomend something dark. Like grey.....a urban area for example

If you going with blood angels it will suit them aswell as they like close quarters combat.

For a theme i was thinking WW 1 battlefield styles, no mans land bombed out wastelands with trenches ect. Not to sure what collors to use on this though. So.. thoughts?

Thanks in advance :lol:

I imagine you are thinking of the Western front but have you considered the eastern front... with snow! the red should show up well next to the white... blood stains also show up really well on white but you can also do dirty muddy snow, have razorwire in it, foot prints (which you can also do with mud), mines and whatever else you want.

I agree, brown will be a poor contrast to the red. As mentioned, urban/tech or snow would be better. If you really want mud/wasteland, you might go with Charadon granite as a base and play up the gray-green aspects and downplay the brown. I use Charadon highlighted with astronomican gray for wasteland rubble bases for my BA and it looks good.

Archived