Project Deathwing

Hail Fraters.

Now, this is not an attempt to make a Deathwing army list. That can be done by other people at another time. This post is because I am currently in the aquisition (purchasing) phase of Project Deathwing where I am attempting to make the entire company. Now I am in need of some assistance because I need to know three things.

1. what should be an ideal mix of shooty and combat terms in order to make a balanced army?.

2. what special weapons should I give my troops?.

3. I already know that I need 100 terminators, but how many dreadnoughts will be required?

Thanks in advance

GM Veritas.

I'm really interested in this as well, I am also working towards completing the entire Deathwing company.

Right now I have 13 squads (4 with CML, 3 w/HF, 6 AC).

I have 4 assault terminator squads and the rest are optimized for wound allocation. I need to figure out what the proper ratio of assault vs shooty terminators Deathwing would have.

I have 3 FW Venerable dreads, and I am trying to decide how many dreadnoughts the company would have. I think it says somewhere in the newer fluff that the Deathwing has all venerable dreadnoughts, but in Angels of Death it says that dreadnoughts stay with their company. So if a Deathwing veteran becomes a dreadnought, does he go straight to venerable status? Or can I have some non-venerable dreads in the company?

I have 4 land raiders (2 crusader, 2 phobos) and Angels of Death states that the 1st company has their own land raiders, while the new codex states (IIRC) that the Chapter has a pool of land raiders (and other vehicles).

I am trying to decide which fluff to follow and I'm interested in opinions on this matter.

I am also doing the entire 3rd company and I'm trying to figure out how many dreads a regular company would have.

• 4 weeks later...

I always figured that 2-3 Venerable dreadnoughts would be enough.

Also, I would love to see some WIP pictures. I plan on doing 5 squads myself, having completed 3 of them already. One hundred seems like a very daunting task!

• 4 months later...

"One hundred seems like a very daunting task! "

Kovash, you have no idea!!!!!!

as for the request for WIP pics, I have no knowledge of how to do this, so I shall be posting (hopefully) a pic of the completed company when I have either finished it or when I find out how to post pics (which ever takes longer!.)

Now. on to the serious bit. Based on advice from GW, I have built my squads as a mixed deployment (2 combat, and 2 shooty, and the sarge having either) as for special weapons, I have done a mix of assault cannons, heavy flamers and cyclones based on results of playtesting.

Now on to dreadnoughts. GW says 5 venerables at most, is this a sensible option?

more updates to follow

GM Veritas

~shrug~ The way I play my deathwing, they're a mix of claws and hammers with various heavy weapons...if the heavy weapon is a flamer or ass cannon, it comes with a chainfist...but I've found that two boltgun shots aren't a good substitute for either claws or a storm shield, so I'm gradually rearming my SB/PF termies accordingly. As for vennies, I'm liking PC/DCCW and TLAC/DCCW, preferably with a heavy flamer, for melee dreddies, and TLAC/ML or TLLC/ML for shooting.

Stormbolters are not all that bad, you know. Sure, they're not as good as fighting off power armour etc. but they're good at butchering Guardsmen, Nids or Orks as you march into combat. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't take assault squads; hell no. You need them! But I always take about half of my units as pure shooty. =)

How many of what depends on what your doing with them. An entire first company will never see the table except in an Apoc game.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/IMG_1176.jpg

My last Apoc game Aug 2009. The back half of the table was my Salli partner.

150 TA

20 Dreads

10 DP's

7 LR's

I have since added more CML's/TH,SS and am reconfiguring my combat teams. 2x AsCan, 1x CML, 1x CC 2x Ven Dread, 1x LR

Will probably end up with 200+ TDA and seven Command Sqds, want to add four more LR's.

I plan on fielding a 25000 point DW Army in an Aopc game in January.

So what do you plan on doing with them?

"One hundred seems like a very daunting task! "

Kovash, you have no idea!!!!!!

as for the request for WIP pics, I have no knowledge of how to do this, so I shall be posting (hopefully) a pic of the completed company when I have either finished it or when I find out how to post pics (which ever takes longer!.)

Now. on to the serious bit. Based on advice from GW, I have built my squads as a mixed deployment (2 combat, and 2 shooty, and the sarge having either) as for special weapons, I have done a mix of assault cannons, heavy flamers and cyclones based on results of playtesting.

Now on to dreadnoughts. GW says 5 venerables at most, is this a sensible option?

more updates to follow

GM Veritas

Since you first posted, I've gone on to build a total of 7 squads for my army, along with 1 venerable dread. I've kept the original 3 squads I pained as shooty squads, but everything else has become a mix of weapons, mostly close combat. Overall I use 4 CML, 2 AC and 1 HF.

Also, which HQ are you taking alongside your Belial? When I play 2000+ games nowadays, I usually include an Interrogator-Chaplain with termy armor, unless I'm playing eldar or chaos, then I bring a Librarian in TDA.

pueriexdeus I figured you had a nice army, but wow what you've posted exceeded my expectations. Very nice!

Edit: grammar

As an aside, has anyone ever collected a whole chapter?

...probably, but are you insane? That's 1000+ infantry!

How many of what depends on what your doing with them. An entire first company will never see the table except in an Apoc game.

Hehe...that's true enough...you'd have trouble stuffing a naked battle company into 2500 points! My own APOC goal is 30+ termies (not counting HQ termies), one Thawk (with 15 termies on board), 2 crusaders, 1 mars, and 2 terminus ultra land raiders...and the 5th company (using the company data sheet!). So far, I've got 3 of the LRs, 27 termies (not counting HQ termies), and 70% of the 5th company (not counting HQ, armory, and vets)...I'm thinking I'll be able to field 10k without help when it's all said and done (definitely, if I inculde ravenwing models), and with only one superheavy and no titans (hey, a titanhammer squad obliterates those, and I have a Thawk to drop them off with! Then the Thawk easilly outclasses ALL other super-heavies). So I need the Thawk (10th aniversarry present from my wife, I'm thinking), the ultras, 20 assault marines, 10 devs (have the models, just need to do the work), and probably a raftload of drop pods (to deal with the size of an APOC board, rhinos just don't cut it). One of these days, I need to lay out and photograph my DA collection.

pueriexdeus I figured you had a nice army, but wow what you've posted exceeded my expectations. Very nice!

Edit: grammar

Thanks for the props, my DW is still a work in progress. Had to post the pic, you know what they say. No pictures, it didn't happen.

There was a guy that painted the whole Blood Angels, 1000+ minis, he even had one of the lead Thunderhawks the FW sold in those wood boxes... He had an article appeared in a White Dwarf, interview and all. I remember he said he painted a big part of the chapter on the train back home from work or something like that :HQ:

This army is going to be deployable in full force for Apoc (dropping from Stormravens with Land Raider support as this image is very cool) and I hope to be able to split it into a 2000 point force for smaller games as well.

With my GM (I am going to field him as Belial's predecessor Gabriel) I will be fielding Asmodai (Interrogator chappy in power armour due to no found rules) with another pair of Interrogator Chaplains in TDA, and Ezekiel with a pair of Librarians in TDA.

These 7 guys and the company apothecary and standard bearer should fit in another Stormraven for Apoc.

I am about a lil more than Halfway there...

Full Deathwing 120+ TDA

Full Ravenwing 70+ Bikes 15 AB's 15 LS's

200+ Power Armoured Troops w/Bolters

60+ Heavy Weapons

40+ Special Weapons

120+ Assault troops

50+ Veterans (alot are old RT and early metal Marines)

50+ Scouts

15 Landraiders

30 Rhino Chassis

12 Dreads

Although I did not go with the Dark Green paint scheme.

I based my army on forces fighting in the Desert.

And I call them a Successor Chapter called the Desert Angels.

The entire Army will one day I hope be Mechanized.

Deathwing are a Military Desert Sand Color

Ravenwing are Chaos Black

For PA and non-DW Vehicles, I have a Mustard Yellow Base with Shoulder Pads denoting Company

3rd Green

4th Blue

5th Black

6th Red

7th unestablished yet

8th Assault Squads I have no Shoulder Pads using base color.

9th Dev Squads Grey

10th Scouts are tan and green

Vehicles have light Green accent colors.

All of my weapons are Boltgun/metalic for a more realistic look

Everything is done in a matte/muted finish.

gallery_34418_3564_30258.jpg

Link to... More Deathwing and Ravenwing

gallery_34418_2310_17004.jpg

Link to more... Tanks and Stuff

Awesome stuff. I've got quite a lot, but I'm actually trying to trim back my models since I don't use most of 'em. I've currently got a full battle company, 50 terminators, ~20 bikes, 30-40 veterans, and an extra assault and devastator squad. Termies and veterans are magnetized, so that was a lot of work.

I've also got a decent amount of armor: 3 land raiders, 3 predators, 3 dreadnoughts, 4 land speeders, 2 whirlwinds, 1 vindicator, and some rhinos/razorbacks and drop pods. All the vehicles are also magnetized.

If we branch out to stuff I use from other codices, I have some guardsmen for my GK army, Cavalry for Space Wolves, and some dreadknights and a storm raven also for GK. Mostly I stick to using a minimum of 20 terminators though. I just like 'em that much :D

• 5 months later...

Hail Fraters.

Sorry for the delay. But I can now declare Project Deathwing to be completed.

Unfortunately my access to the net is through a computer in my local library, and they have blocked all uploads.

This means no pics of completed army (Doh!).

If anyone wants to make a pic using the SM painter, then my basic paint scheme is as follows.

Base coat of Army Painter Skeleton Bone (Bleached bone)

Wash with Gryphonne Sepia.

Chest Eagles in DA green

Sword in Scab Red

I hope not otherwise all this work would go to waste!

that would also mean I would have to name the Deathwing as Unproven as well as Unforgiven.

This is a little much to have to put on an army banner, don't you agree?

GM Veritas

Archived