Varnish problem, help required.

Hi,

I just realized again that the reason I do not like my finished models is varnish.

Now, I am inclined to use varnish so the paintjob I spent hours on will not be ruined by people grabbing the miniatures by the head or shoulders instead of the base, or by the evil touch of the carrying case.

However, every varnish I have ever tried seems to darken the colours of the model. So I paint, I go "yay I love this colour combination, it is awesome looking and I am a great painter!", then I apply varnish, and bang, no more contrast, no more highlights, no more anything. I mean yes, highlights are still there, there also is contrast, but both are diminished by the darkening effect of the varnish.

I have tried vallejo and GW varnishes, both produce the same result.

Is there any way to varnish my models and protect the paintjob without also darkening it? Because if not, I will probably have to avoid varnish and hope for a long life, since miniatures that only stay painted for three years but look good in that time are still preferable to ones that look dull forever...

So please, help me! Tell me of the perfect varnish that does not darken the look! Please!

Hum. I did not try matt varnish from Vallejo, but the one from GW did darken the models. From Vallejo I have only used satin and gloss. Could it really have something to do with the gloss bit? That by deflecting some light it makes the model look darker because said light does not even reach the colour and thus cannot be reflected by the colour itself?

Gloss varnish will actually tend to make the colors pop a little more... but at the same time, it's glossy. I don't like that look as it tends to make the models look more toy-like. A matte varnish WILL actually reduce contrast slightly because it's adding a very thin layer of a flattening agent (like talc) to the surface of your model in order to add texture that will diffuse the light reflecting off of the model. That layer, while colorless, does tend to desaturate your colors and reduce contrast.

No matter what varnish you add to your model it is going to affect your color in some way (however slightly). If you think it's too much then try a new varnish or a different method of application. I find that applying matte varnish with an airbrush provides me the the best result.

That sounds interesting, but I do not have an airbrush. Does it require an open place to airbrush-varnish stuff, or can one do it indoors for half an hour and then rip open all windows?

Alternatively, do any of you have experience with how much chipping paint I'd have to expect when I do not varnish them? I handle them rather carefully, but I do not always touch only the base...

Archived