Deathwing in Progress

Sandalphon

Hi all,

Found some time on my hands recently and after being constantly inspired by everyone elses work here i thought i'd share what i'm up to, hopefully i'll be able to finish them all soon.. too many projects going on lol.

gallery_5435_3210_33133.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_187588.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_82772.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_206881.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_1727.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_205814.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_205069.jpg

gallery_5435_3210_192491.jpg

There are still 3-4 other DW termies lying on the desk and a librarian too... not to mention the shadowsword and landraider but i wont go there -_- Probably gonna donate a CML to one of the SB's and some more hammertime. Also considering re-basing the chappy to match the squad.. he was originally gonna be a standalone mini..

The painting is obviously just blocking & undercoat kinda level at the moment, and a test 'rough bone' scheme using a bestial brown base, built up with kommando khaki, bleached bone and skull white and some gryphonne sepia wash. Still need to hit the shadows and smooth out some of the flatter areas..

Enjoy!

Looks good. The 'rough bone' looks exactly that -- like actual bone -- as though the armour is actually made out of the stuff. It's a good effect I think :).

Cheers

I

Good looking termis, similar to what i've done with my AOBR guys. Even the painting recipe is pretty much the same, but i'm going for a smoother look. ANd yay for Belial having a dagger! All Deathwing should IMO.

One thing niggles though (might just be the photo) but the assault cannon arm looks a little too low down - elbow by his hip. Might be an idea to shift it up a touch to balance the weight across the model properly.

Al

cheers for the kind words!

One thing niggles though (might just be the photo) but the assault cannon arm looks a little too low down - elbow by his hip. Might be an idea to shift it up a touch to balance the weight across the model properly.

yeh it wasnt til i got low down with the camera that i realised just how long that guys arm was! its still only tacked in place so will get straight on it ;) The pose i was going for was to emphasise thw weight of the AC but thats no excuse for a forearm 2x longer than usual lol.

I was going to put combat daggers on all my aobr termies, but theyre just not the same, either way Belial's was a MUST...but now im thinking i will anyway just to make them a bit more DW and less vanilla.

I should be able to get more painting in this week so will hopefully have the squad complete by the end of the week :)

Nice work so far, looks like you're doing what I'm doing and using chaos lightning claws for belial, and ravenwing sprue dreadnaught shin armor as shoulder pads, which I've done for a few models.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaplain finished!! and i'm pleased to say the rest of the squad are coming along well too (altho the AC guy and Belial haven't seen an undercoat yet!)

Pretty happy with this one, gotta love days off work :cuss

gallery_5435_2406_148371.jpg

gallery_5435_2406_132001.jpg

gallery_5435_2406_71424.jpg

C&C welcome as always

Cheers all :D i'd been out of the game for a bit but always good to come back to such a supportive forum :)

The base was a resin one i bought from ebay - wanted to make such a worthy mini a bit more 'presentable' than my trusty old dry rocks and dead grass technique lol. Was also wanting to space hulk them up a bit but it didnt really happen :S

More to come of the rest hopefully!

The base was a resin one i bought from ebay - wanted to make such a worthy mini a bit more 'presentable' than my trusty old dry rocks and dead grass technique lol. :S

.... and indeed a truly worthy character mini... I really keep coming back to look at the paintwork on that chaplain.

Looking again at the DW terminators your coments about painint make sense. So, looking back , if you had the choice would you have primed with white rather than black?

SG

Looking again at the DW terminators your coments about painint make sense. So, looking back , if you had the choice would you have primed with white rather than black?

In hindsight i think white would have saved a step.. If memory serves my old DW were all primed white, then i blackened the metallic areas (weapons, ribbing etc) and built the bone up from there, it was quicker.

I'll be priming white on my next squad, the only reason these were black was because they were going to be Lion Guard (black and gold) at one stage.. :) will post the results! (but not in time for you to get cracking!)

thanks again for the kind words!

OK another update - all the DW buzz lately got me inspired ;)

Here are the pretty much finished DW members i had started painting, there are more unassembled on my desk.. I decided to clean them up a bit, but as usual after photographing them i can see some areas that require a bit of work...ie bases lol

gallery_5435_2406_98576.jpg

gallery_5435_2406_140379.jpg

gallery_5435_2406_270175.jpg

gallery_5435_2406_141159.jpg

The chainfist was made by hacking down a chainsword, and i'm thinking one of these guys really needs a CML. As i mentioned before they're all AoBR termies with some extra bits.

I know they're a little "festive" but the green and red matches all my 2nd ed DW. All the icons are freehand, the DW shoulder markings came out ok.. in hindsight i should have done a step-by-step.. maybe on the next batch.

Absolutely wonderful. I love the festive colours. Perhaps a little darker (/more wash) to tone down the red and green a little might be the only suggestion I can make... but they look bloody good. Love the detailed writing on the purity seal, and if you don't mind I would pinch your colour scheme for the Stormshields.

I was wondering how you shaped the large plastic icon on to the sergeants stormshield. Did you warm it and bend it? It looked pretty odd when i tried it hence i got the guts to try and green stuff cast it so that i could mould the cast to fit the curve of the shield.

I really like the old style green wings on the chests of the terminators but looking at the impact of the white wings on the shield i think i will go with white for the chest wings in my army.

Great wrok Sandalphon!

SG

Excellent. And kudos on such well painted personal and company iconography -- it's that kind of love that lifts painting into higher levels.

Cheers

I

Archived