Tips wanted for fallen inquisitor based counts as chaos army

I am returning to the world of 40k and want to run a themed army based on an Inquisitor led unit of marines. For story, campaign, and back ground reasons I have chosen to use a blood angels chapter and rules for the pre-fall version of the army and want to use the chaos lists for the post fall army. I am looking for suggestions on simple conversions that will help make a 'counts as' army list without being overly chaosy. The whole Inquisitor in denial style.

For the Blood Angels version, I am thinking not too much conversion. Simply adding a few spikes and skulls and the like. I would like to find a way to make studs rather than spikes for the regular troops as well. Any other ideas would be great too. I want it to be pretty close to normal, with just the hints of a chapter on the edge of chaos.

My bigger problem comes from the post fall version where chaos is more present, but the units must still believe they are fighting the good fight. So no actual daemons or chaos marks. For chaos troops and raptors I figure the basic blood angels with spikes still work. Sanguinary guard as either chosen or assault termis.

Here is what I am struggling with.

1 - I need a good model to be the Inquisitor(Abbadon or a lord or other IC) - Was thinking Coteaz, but I hate the eagle.

2 - Sorcerer - I love the termi chaplin model, but feel a librarian would fit better

3 - Cult marines - So far I think I can use sister redemptia as beserkers, adding servo skulls to represent the pistol shots. I have no clue what to use for the others.

4 - Deamons - for lesser I want to use arco flagellants but I hate the models. For Greater I am thinking a penitent engine with the demon prince jump pack.

5 - Tech marine or master of the forge as Oblits as they begin the first stages of the virus.

6- Any other units I forgot about.

I am thinking maybe some sisters of battle to work in somehow, but not sure. Any other suggestions for model and conversions that fit the theme?

And lastly - paint schemes. I am considering a scab red base rather than blood red, with gold and bronze highlights or markings representing a touch of Khorne. For the characters, hints of purple and blue for the touch of Tzeetch working its way in. But I am wide open to other ideas.

If you read this far - thanks!

[...] I would like to find a way to make studs rather than spikes for the regular troops as well. Any other ideas would be great too. I want it to be pretty close to normal, with just the hints of a chapter on the edge of chaos.[...]

Take a look here for the studs. I just tried it two days ago and it works really well.

The forearm with the eagle is a separate piece, so if you want to use Coteaz you just have to swap one arm. There are lot of conversions of coteaz floating around the net. Make a quick search and you should get plenty of results.

Why don't you use a normal Termie librarian for the sorcerer? If you switch the head of the force weapon and sculpt a blood drop over his buckle and the top of his backbanner he won't have much imperial iconography left. If you paint his face spooky enough he will look great.

If you want to use Blood Angels, Deathcompany could also be a viable choice to represent Berserkers.

To make your marines look a bit different, without being to chaosy, take a look at some of the Fleshtearer, Spaceshark or Marines Malevolent threads on here. Using weapons like chainaxes, hammers and maces instead of swords, might help to change the feel of the normal BA. Lots of drawn combat knives and dirty fighters. Trophies and battle damage. All in all just making them less pretty. If are going to show some bare heads stay clear of the heads with boyband haircuts for example and add some burns or scars.

As I don't have the most recent codex Chaos SM I can't really think of anything you could count the sisters as, but with the flamer pistols you could count your jump troops as seraphim.

Archived