HH: Fulgrim

Grimtooth

So having read this book many times, I would like to share some thoughts and open up some discussion about this book. This isn't a review or a push to say it is not as good or better then others, just thoughts about the content of the book.

So, I really enjoyed this book for the way it portrayed the spiraling of a Legion into madness/"perfection". We barely just see the barest fault in Fulgrim and some of his Astartes before the Laer engagement, but it is these miniscule cracks in what in appears to be an absolute flawless appearance which ultimately lead to the downfall of the entire Legion.

I was talking with some online gamer friends of mine that are also into Warhammer 40k and the topic of this book came up and we all agreed that the downfall into insanity was well written. My comment then which I share with you now is,

"Think of a million composers writing a million perfect symphonies, and them all being played at once in the same symphony hall.. Think of a million artists painting a million masterpieces, all on the same canvas. That is the Emperor's Children."

I really can't sum it up any better then that.

Discuss/Comment

I think some of the views of Ferrus were the jaded view by Fulgrim. The revelations he realizes at the end put Ferrus into the true form, not one demonically manipulated, Fulgrim's blinders are removed for just a moment and he sees how wrong he was about hi brother but by then it is too late.

A Thousand Sons was written with a much more biased eye then Fulgrim. It did show yet another Legions fall but I do not think it was anywhere as tragic as the EC. The 1k Sons were true to their quest for knowledge up until the end, despite the Emperors decree and it led to their downfall. The EC did not remain true, it followed down a bastardized path of perfection as wrought by the demon prescence in the Laer temple.

If you look past the biased dscriptions of the final Battle of Prospero, you see that Magnus really isn't bathed in the beatiful lights and colors as described by Ahirman, but the very twisted nether of the Warp and Chaos. As I said it is a biased view. We do not get that with the Maraviglia (sp) in Fulgrim. In fact there are members of the audience that try to leave and are killed. Nothing is hidden as the the horror of the event nor the complicity of Chaos.

It was pretty well done. I actually found Fulgrim disgusting by the middle of the book

Exactly! The most perfect and unflawed of all the Primarchs, the Phonecian, and yet he spirals into decay. The scene that describes his chambers in disarry and him painted like a freak was impressive in showing just how badly he was drowning in his madness yet not even realizing it.

Did anyone else notice after the possession of Fulgrim that the garishness in appearance seemed to no longer be present. It is as if once the demon possessed him, the true form of Fulgrim was more pleasant then what he had driven Fulgrim towards.

I really liked Fulgrim. It was one of the best HH books so far. To me it had 3 real high lights.

1) Every thing Solomon Demeter,. Out of all the Loyalest who died i felt his the most. His fall back strategy, "going up the middle", was so sick. When Lucius turns traitor and tricks him into killing other loyalists, then kills him is so sad. If i had one vote to bring back one Astartes from the dead it would be him.

2) Lucius rejoining his legion. The depths to witch he sunk were staggering. When Lucius was asked if all the important officers where dead and he said yes, was the moment i started thinking there must be survivors of Istvaan III. There is just NO WAY this douche could be correct. He was just to much of an @$$. The fact that he made me so mad means he was a great character.

3) The best moment of this book and the whole HH series to date, for me was when Ancient Rylanor stood out in the open and watched the Virus bombing. He is the only living soul that ever witnessed such a horrific event and lived. The thoughts that must have been going on through his mind.... Also that it took the attention to detail of the Emperors Children, to produce a dreadnought with no cracks in his armor, is a nice twist. I can not wait to see what more there is to come from him and any other survivors.

Lucius' fall was especially well written. His casual manner of betrayal and killing for his own means really does set the stage for the current timeline Lucius we see today.

My favorite part in regard to Lucius is his first scar. That moment was just another revelation of the depths the EC had truly fallen.

Archived