Gav Thorpe's upcoming plans for Dark Angels stories.

Copied from his latest blog post, at the very end:

Coming soon (to my schedule if not the shelves) in no particular order: A Dark Angels novel (possibly the first of a new series); Path of the Outcast; an Eldar-themed short story for the Games Day chapbook; a Vampire Wars trilogy; a Dark Angels audiobook (again, probably the first of several); a story about a space marine tea party; a novella on Lion El’Johnson; a trilogy on the Wars of the Vampire Counts and a Vampire-related short story for the Age of Legends book. I think that covers everything so far…

Based on the Purging of Kadillus thread, opinions will be split on weather this is a good thing or not. Personally, I like the scifi feel of his novels that other people have mentioned, as well as the more realistic feel of Astartes military operations. The bland action scenes are a small price to pay, and I never really paid attention or noticed that until it was pointed out by others.

As to the upcoming stuff bolded above; I can't wait, quite simply. Angels of Darkness was the first 40k book I ever bought, so I'm a bit biased, but I like the way Thorpe does his marines.

Oh, linky: http://mechanicalhamster.wordpress.com/

Great news!!! Look forward to everything that has to do with DA and the Lion - especially following the "Fallen Angels" finale that left a sour taste on the Lion's moral integrity... (BTW I have yet to read Cadillus).

Actually, the Space Marine tea party is what caught my attention the most. I had to read it twice to make sure I was seeing properly.

'Crumpet, brother?' Brother-sergeant Arturian asked, proffering the plate.

'Thanks, old darling, but no,' Brother Meneleum replied. 'The old battle plate's been getting tighter of late. Much more and Adept Aggaro'll have to squeeze me into it.'

Arturian smirked, still holding the plate before his battle-brother, an offering of fat and carbohydrates that could not be ignored. The rest of the squad looked on, knowing what would come next. Brother Mathis delicately unfolded his napkin across his lap as he watched the scene unfold.

'Oh, all right! Just one, then!' Meneleum said, snatching two from the plate.

Very interesting. I suspect Gav of being a Fallen Angels sympathizer, so I imagine any DA series he embarks on would heavily involve the Fallen and the suspect motivations of the Inner Circle. I can't pretend that I'm a fan of Gav's action scenes... but then I'm not a fan of any BL writer's action scenes. As I've mentioned before, I appreciate Gav's sci-fi take on 40k, which is much needed after the "CAN ... YOU ... FEEEEEEL ... THE ... POOOOOWEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!1" histrionics of Graham McNeill.

Very interesting. I suspect Gav of being a Fallen Angels sympathizer, so I imagine any DA series he embarks on would heavily involve the Fallen and the suspect motivations of the Inner Circle. I can't pretend that I'm a fan of Gav's action scenes... but then I'm not a fan of any BL writer's action scenes. As I've mentioned before, I appreciate Gav's sci-fi take on 40k, which is much needed after the "CAN ... YOU ... FEEEEEEL ... THE ... POOOOOWEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!1" histrionics of Graham McNeill.

Hahahaha! :) Well said!

Good find and interesting news on the scheduled offerings for sure. Particularly the DA novel (series).

... on writers' styles -- yes each have their place and find favour with different readers.

Cheers

I

Great to see more DA and the Lion stories. I am not a fan of how Mr. Thorpe handled them in PoK, but I am sure with a project that he has the freedom to write what he wants, it will shake off the proverbial shackles. Looking forward to what he comes up with.

The great thing about a Dark Angels tea party would be the hard drinking Space Wolves that come to crash it!

I haven't been able to find the time to read any of Gav's books, so I hope I'll be able to pick up a few before the new stuff comes out. As far as Space Marine action goes, Dan Abnett does pretty good.

The great thing about a Dark Angels tea party would be the hard drinking Space Wolves that come to crash it!

I haven't been able to find the time to read any of Gav's books, so I hope I'll be able to pick up a few before the new stuff comes out. As far as Space Marine action goes, Dan Abnett does pretty good.

I haven't had a chance to read his SM stuff, but I am a big fan of his other writing. Gav's writing is well enough, I just always have to remember he is writing through the eyes (lies?) of the Fallen.

• 4 weeks later...

I for one would welcome our Fenrisian Brothers' antics... Tea Parties are BORING.

I for one would welcome our Fenrisian Brothers' antics... Tea Parties are BORING.

I second your opinion. :)

I look forwards to these.

I find action hard to write, and it seems that even the authors do - none of the BL authors seem to get raves on their pewpew scenes....

If the rest of the book is good, I can overlook some shortcomings. Generous I know :)

You just haven't been to the right ones. Make sure you lift your pinky - always more satisfying :)

Archived