Painting stripping RT era plastic marines

There are currently some of the Rogue Trader era plastic marines for sale/ being auctioned online at the moment but I dont like the paint schemes and would strip this off.

Has anyone else tried this and what have the results been like ?

I ask because I would hate to start stripping the paint and find because of the age of the plastic I end up with plastic gloop !!

In my opinion, Dawn Power Dissolver works better than Simple Green for this purpose. Simple Green can have problems removing primer from plastic, and requires lots of scrubbing. I have tested Dawn on both tan and grey plastic from that time period. I have no idea on the blue plastic, as the formula may be different.

In my opinion, Dawn Power Dissolver works better than Simple Green for this purpose. Simple Green can have problems removing primer from plastic, and requires lots of scrubbing. I have tested Dawn on both tan and grey plastic from that time period. I have no idea on the blue plastic, as the formula may be different.

How do you use this..spray on and rinse off or soak the figures in it?

How do you use this..spray on and rinse off or soak the figures in it?

For most minis, I pour the gel into a small plastic container (normally 1 quart) with a sealable lid, drop the figures in, put the lid on, agitate gently to get them good and covered, wait 24 hours, remove, and rinse. I have not had to use a brush or scraper. The paint washes of under a faucet. I've now done 5 loads of minis without changing the gel, and it is still going strong.

I haven't done any larger minis or vehicles that don't fit in a small container as of yet, but my intention is to spray and rinse, then reapply if necessary.

[For most minis, I pour the gel into a small plastic container (normally 1 quart) with a sealable lid, drop the figures in, put the lid on, agitate gently to get them good and covered, wait 24 hours, remove, and rinse. I have not had to use a brush or scraper. The paint washes of under a faucet. I've now done 5 loads of minis without changing the gel, and it is still going strong.

I haven't done any larger minis or vehicles that don't fit in a small container as of yet, but my intention is to spray and rinse, then reapply if necessary.

I have to try this, I been using Simple Green and it works well on metal figures not so much on plastic. I may try this on vehicles since I have some I want to change.

If you are in the UK Id use flash degreaser (white and orange spray bottle)

Ive used it on my 20 year old blue plastic RT marines and it stripped all of the paint and glue without any issues.

Archived