Painting Order

If any parts will be drybrushed I do them first, especially if it's metal, as you don't want shiny flakes glittering on other parts of the model. Otherwise it goes inside to out, and big things to small. Then washes and details.

I often refine my painting after a few batches, when you figure out shortcuts you can take.

I basecoat the largest areas then paint the metals and finally small details.

After that I touch up the original areas and then I go to washes and then drybrushing.

Give it a final inspection and touch it up as needed.

Finally base it with PVA glue and the sand from GW.

edit - needed to make coherent sentences

Assuming it's a SM model (based on what this forum is), I start with the armour. I get the base colour down and then a wash. I then usually do the base coat of any details, then highlight the armour, then highlight the details. Finally I do any other layers or additional highlight layers.

I paint in parts, before assembling. So first the legs (so he can stand), then the torso, and then usually the head. The shoulder pads come next because I find them interesting, and then the bolter and arms. I find the arms boring, but need them to hold up the shoulder pads & bolter. Last is the backpack (just marginally less boring than the arms), and the base.

It's all here.

For each bit, I follow the process of

1) Prime

2) Undercoat

3) Basecoat

4) Layered Highlights

5) Darkline

6) Line Highlight

except for metallics, where I'll also add a wash, and a little of extreme highlighting after the wash.

Archived