Disaster

Help,

I bought my 1st Chaplain today, all happy and proud I set about posing him and just now went to undercoat him with the GW Chaos Black Spray can. This is as good as it gets, all down hill from here, It's pretty dark outside but I went to spray and I think a combo of poor lighting and some very over zealous spraying, I wanted to cover the whole model evenly on the first go. However, much to my horror, the paint has pooled really badly all over the model and as well as hidding a lot of the details now it also looks like it hasn't caught the metal very well with metal edges still showing all over.

What am I doing wrong here brothers? Would I be better stripping the paint and brushing on the black undercoat?

Brother Mitch

Strip and spray during the daylight. Also, you might want to not lean on the nozzle while holding it within six inches of the target; it's a model, not wall graffiti. ;)

But yeah, give it a soak in Simple Green and hit it with a toothbrush, rinse it, let it dry, then re-primer it with a bit more caution. It's metal so it should forgive you.

I wanted to cover the whole model evenly on the first go...

What am I doing wrong here brothers? Would I be better stripping the paint and brushing on the black undercoat?

Well, if I had to guess, I'd say that's your problem - when priming (like all painting) you want to make multiple light passes.

If I were you, I'd soak it in simple green / 409 to strip it and start over.

Through some quick thinking, I think I might just have saved my work: quick application of a really absorbant kitchen roll has taken all of the pooled areas and revealed the detail again, think it was still wet enough to get away with and now I have applied a fine layer of undercoat.

Thank you for your advice brothers, if in the likely event that it has not worked as I think it has, I will strip and do again in daylight hours.

Thanks Again

Brother Mitch

Another possible source for your problem might be if you didn't shake the can enough before spraying. My brother forgot that once before he went to prime some of his Eldar white. I think he still has a bunch of deformed snowmen and an entire unpainted army in his basement. :HQ:

It's a myth that Simple Green affects glue. What it actually is is that people put too much pressure on their models when they scrub their models and parts break off. Faulty logic then says that 'Simple Green wrecks glue'. I have noticed that (and this may be my own faulty logic) Simple Green turns Green Stuff into a slimy goo that sloughs off after their dip.

It is not a myth at all. I tried using Simple Green to strip a few models, and the parts fell apart with no pressure. Granted, I soaked them for a long time, like two weeks (and still, the Simple Green took no paint off... :P), but the point is that Simple Green can and does affect glue.

My recent experience with Simple Green is that it weakens the glue I want to keep and does nothing to the glue I want to get rid of... :D

But it does work great on the paint, so there is that. As far as the primer thing, I second what everyone else says: multiple light passes, wait until daytime. I would add that you can get much cheaper primer, such as regular old Krylon that sells for about 1/3 of the GW. Just throwing that out there.

tip for the op;

before you spray, fill your kitchen sink up w/ hot water, as hot as you can get it out of the tap, just not boiling, then set you spray can in it for about 2 min, take it out and shake real well, repeat this about 3 times, then spray, this will help mix the paint and propellant up thoroughly.

Ashton

Im guessing all metal? just remove the brush and put it in some Acetone or other Nail Polish remover and in 5 min and a bit of a scrub you have it back to blister condition. other than that do you painting during the day and multiple light passes.

I think the most likely problem was that it was too damn cold to be spraying paint (I'm not far from Dundee and it's been cold, even through the day). I have had some wierd results from spraying when it has been a bit on the chilly side. I'm not sure about GW sprays, but most undercoats/primers cannot be used in low temps.

Oh, and if you ever need to strip models, Dettol or Mr Muscle Kitchen Cleaner do the job.

Archived