A different kind of white...

I've recently stripped down my old chaos marine army ready for rebuilding and repainting, I've thought long and hard about the scheme and have come up with the following idea:

A glossy/varnished/slick white armour all over with yellowing/brown edges & recesses

I'm undecided about the armour trim, maybe a metallic.

Firstly, does anyone know a way of achieving this effect? And, does anyone know of sites/pictures with a similar scheme?

I'm also considering having the occasional blood spatter on the models, I've seen a paint used before that worked great as blood, it was a deep red that dried glossy, I'm sure the guy said it was made by Tamiya can anyone confirm this?

Looking forward to painting my army up, think this scheme will look especially awesome on the termi's and Bezerkers...

Tamiya clear red is what you are looking for. A small bit of black mixed in looks good as blood.

The easiest way to get the look you are talking about would be to primer white, use Gryphonne sepia around the edges, and then use 'Ard Coat to add the gloss element. I'm not sure how it would look when you are done though, typically gloss doesn't look that good when it's applied to a whole model. Only a test model will say for sure.

If you were going for a 'yellowed teeth' sort of look you could use Bubonic Brown blended in around the edges with Devlan Mud as a wash for just the seams between armor plates for a really weathered/aged effect.

If you are going with a near-white for the main color I think a dark trim color is the way to go, possibly a dark blue or dark steel.

Thanks for the response dude, I've looked into everything you've mentioned and it looks almost perfect for what I need. The only thing i'll swap out is the 'ard coat spray for GW's brush on gloss varnish as its literally only the armous plates i want glossed.

So my painting order will look like this:

Spray white

chaos black any relevant bits

sepia wash into armour recesses

highlight skull white

apply gloss on armour plates

chaos black/boltgun metal scratches and chips on armour

finish other detailing

apply tamiya clear red

will the sepia look almost yellow in the thinnest areas and browner as it pools more in recesses?

Sorry, I meant the brush on gloss-- it used to be called 'ard coat and I'd forgotten that they made a spray can of it.

Sepia comes out looking like the top part of the ork codex cover art. Yellow in terms of yellowed paper, but not a true yellow per se if that is what you are after. If you want a yellower cast you my have to water down a paint you like and make your own wash.

Archived