GK as AdMech?

Could the Grey Knights be the best codex yet for the Adeptus Mechanicus?

You're got a bunch of Inquisitors with crazy wargear load-outs, ideal for AdMech Lords.

Techmarines, with orbital barrages and lots of odd grenades and stuff.

Henchmen Warbands, with plenty of room for AdMech counts-as (Jokaero, Servitors, various things that could be Tech-Cultists)

And the dreadknight, which just needs to have the stupid terminator swapped for a head-like cabin (either a sentinel cockpit or a scratch-build) and it's the perfect Knight Titan.

You could probably also throw in some Grey Knights, counting as Protectors. Bang, job's a good one!

Then the whole thing falls down at the "universal psychic powers" thing.

Sure, some of them are good - a GK Techmarine's power could stand in for his being Just That Awesome, and the vehicle powers are believable as being caused by a good smack from an electro-wrench, but you run into problems with stuff like "I burn you", or the ever popular "I burn you more".

Hammerhand, on the other.. uh, limb... anyone else get an image of Edward Elric supercharging his mechanical arm with a ringpull in the Fullmetal Alchemist movie?

Then the whole thing falls down at the "universal psychic powers" thing.

Sure, some of them are good - a GK Techmarine's power could stand in for his being Just That Awesome, and the vehicle powers are believable as being caused by a good smack from an electro-wrench, but you run into problems with stuff like "I burn you", or the ever popular "I burn you more".

Hammerhand, on the other.. uh, limb... anyone else get an image of Edward Elric supercharging his mechanical arm with a ringpull in the Fullmetal Alchemist movie?

Yer well you would try and tyake fluffy choices and I'm sure you could explain a number of the psychic powers as dangerous and experimental equipment that might blow up in your face...

Is it me or can anyone else remember if an old bit of fluff said mentor space marines tested experimental equipment for the ad mech and one of the things mentioned was personal teleporters... sound familiar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Witch-Hunters are good, but not as good as Grey Knights. Remember, you can ally in all the best bits of the Witch-Hunter codex anyway.

I think the rule of thumb is don't field any power-armoured squads. Librarian works as an Arch-Magos with funky wargear/xenos technology (and the resulting 'Perils' reflecting the unpredictable energy fluctations/sentience of whatever he's wielding), Coteaz is good as a Skittari Captain, Tech-Marines are good as Magos packing conversion beamers and servo-skulls (and weird grenades).

So, you'd probably aim for something along these lines;

HQ:

Coteaz (because you have to. )

Librarian w/nemesis halberd, 'Shrouding', 'Sanctuary', 'Quicksilver', 'Might of Titan', 2 x servo skulls (decent in combat, as befits a Tech-Lord)

Elite:

3 x Tech-Marine w/conversion beamer, orbital relay, 3 x servo-skulls (conversion beamer because it's made of win, orbital relay because you need to whittle down hordes)

Troops:

(3) 3 x plasma cannon servitor, 2 x Jokaero, Chimera (Tech-Marines catch a ride, and they form a nice solid core to hold objectives with. Dakka is considerable, and you solve the mobility/durability issue by getting an AV12 bunker for them)

(2) 3 x Banisher w/eviscerator, 5 x Death Cultists (basically as combat servitors, attach Coteaz and Librarian. Assault enemy objectives with them from the...)

Fast Attack:

(2) Stormraven w/twin multi-melta, twin lascannon (count as gun-cutters/armed shuttles)

Heavy Support:

(2) Dreadknight w/greatsword, teleporter, heavy psycannon (provide some much needed distraction from your vehicles, and look awesome when properly converted. Psycannon gives you another blast weapon to soften hordes with, and in combat they'll eat tanks and infantry. Their psychic powers and teleport moves can be explained by Mechanicus handwavium techno-sorcery)

What I want to know is has anyone come up with a use for Karamov (or whatever his name is) because I think he would make a cool Arch Magos venerator or whatever they are called... The really old venerable ones... I just don't see him as that useful... I wish you could stick him in a transport...

I hadnt read this already when i replied to the other thread :P

I dont have my GK codex handy, but i could see this working fairly well. When i get near it, i'll try to type out what i would use.

I was thinking about this the other day, I've wanted to do an AdMech force to compliment my Iron Hands (maybe join them in apocalypse if i ever play)

Reclusiarch Darius, your list seems a good start but I would want some more bodies on the table, I think henchmen warbands work great for light skitarii having warrior acolytes with guns (stormbolters or hotshots look good) a jokaero or two as some sort of artificer and maybe a couple of crusaders and then maybe having one unit with mostly arco flaggelants, daemon hosts and death cult assasins as a more closecombat orientated skitarii squad.

I was thinking something like: (borrowed your list as a template as im running low on time)

HQ:

Coteaz

Ordos xenos inquisitor with funky upgrades

Elite:

1-2 techmarines, at least one with conversion beamer

Ven Dreadnaught

Troops:

(3) 12man henchmen squads 1 jokaero (maybe 2) 8 warriors with storm bolters/hot shots, 1-2 crusaders

12man henchmen squads 3 deathcult assasins, 6 daemonhosts, 3 arco flaggelants

12man henchman squads, more elite warriors acolytes with carapace and more upgrades

Fast Attack:

(2) Stormraven w/twin multi-melta, twin lascannon (count as gun-cutters/armed shuttles)

Heavy Support:

(2) Dreadknight w/greatsword, teleporter, heavy psycannon (provide some much needed distraction from your vehicles, and look awesome when properly converted. Psycannon gives you another blast weapon to soften hordes with, and in combat they'll eat tanks and infantry. Their psychic powers and teleport moves can be explained by Mechanicus handwavium techno-sorcery)

Archived