Armatures and the like [Help!]

Well I have been trying to get back into the art swing of things and I wanted to try my hand at miniature making again. I have tried it exactly once, I should say, and with a little bit of success (considering it was the first and only model I ever made). My previous vendor apparently has died or just turned thief or something, because I put in an order a few months ago, and he took my money and all, but clearly never processed my order. In any case, at this point, I am trying to find a new place to buy things. What I am looking for, preferably, is a place I can buy 28/32mm armatures, 56mm armatures, and probably some of the misc. stuff needed to work with that. I have a lot of those sorts of supplies already though.

Thank you all in advance!

[i realize this constitutes a great deal of laziness on a part of a person who wants to sculpt something, especially since I have 100 feet of thin aluminum wire that I could quite easily make into my own skeleton]

In all honesty, your best option for armatures and getting hold of some brass wire and a small torch or high temp soldering gun to make your own armatures. In this way you can get the exact proportions, pose, and scale you desire.

As you're in the USA, you can always pick up those armatures from Reaper. They have a variety of different "levels" of sculpting detail already on them.

Thank you, sir! I will take a look at those, give them a shot anyway.

In all honesty, your best option for armatures and getting hold of some brass wire and a small torch or high temp soldering gun to make your own armatures. In this way you can get the exact proportions, pose, and scale you desire.

Oh, you are definitely right. I have ordered some brass wire. I know what I'm asking is incredibly lazy at this point, but since I have little experience sculpting, especially at the 1 inch miniature level, I want to limit my variables as much as possible, if that makes sense.

Squigbait, you have a very good point about making your own armatures with some wire and a bit of soldering. Honestly though, I think for anybody just starting out with sculpting, some of the pre-cast armatures are a great help with getting some basic proportions correct. After working with a few of those, then I'd advise getting some wire and try making your own from scratch.

Just my 2 creds. YMMV.

I did buy quite a few armatures from that site. In my boredom, though, I found that I had already received my 22 gauge wire, and an obscene number of cork plugs (100). I cut a few of them in half and started making little armatures of people to see if I couldn't sculpt some multi-putt (or whatever its called). It really doesn't work as well as green stuff (kneadatite). I have some of that coming hopefully sooner than later. I have yet to try anything really difficult, but I did make a headless human body to sculpt clothes onto once the green stuff comes.

Mh, getting the proportions right in the armature is about the most important thing in when it comes to sculpting, in my opinion. It's the base you build everything else upon. Even a sculpt with as good as no detail or texture, will look better than a hyperdetailed XYZ of Doom, if it's properly proportioned.

If you just want to get used to the material then using these armatures is fine, but I think if you really want to learn something you should make them yourself.

Another good thing to practice on are faces. Just stick a bunch of toothpicks in your cork plugs and whenever you have some GS left over roll it into a ball and stick it on there. The next time you have some leftovers you can add more details to it. I tried a lot of different approaches and methods I had read about or seen in tutorials, before I just tried it my own way. All in all probably about twenty attempts before I had a reasonably good result. :lol:

Depending on the model, I make my armatures out of paper clips and twist them. I use three wires to make a bipedal or a quadraped creature, or more wires for more bug-like creatures. Once I have the pose I then cover the "joins" with super glue and modelling putty.

Archived