Help with Magnetizing?

Rinion

Okay, the plan is to somehow magnetize the new Grey Knights, but upon reflection, it might not work. So i want to know if anyone has had success before in magnetizing something similar (Any marines, actually)

I know from my own experience with jump packs that it hasnt worked so well. So, if you put a magnet in the shoulders and wrists, how do you stop them from moving or swivelling?

Thanks

Okay, the plan is to somehow magnetize the new Grey Knights, but upon reflection, it might not work. So i want to know if anyone has had success before in magnetizing something similar (Any marines, actually)

I know from my own experience with jump packs that it hasnt worked so well. So, if you put a magnet in the shoulders and wrists, how do you stop them from moving or swivelling?

Thanks

It works. If something does not work, then simply You've chosen wrong means - i.e. the magnets You used, are not powerful enough.

Nice strong Rare Earth magnets are your weapon of choice in cases like this; not sure if you normally use these or not, but they shouldn't swivel about without human intervention...not unless they're holding an incredibly heavy weight relative to their size.

Nice strong Rare Earth magnets are your weapon of choice in cases like this; not sure if you normally use these or not, but they shouldn't swivel about without human intervention...not unless they're holding an incredibly heavy weight relative to their size.

I agree with this. I use 1/16th diameter magnets to swap out weapons because they fit into the tiny area, but with the shoulder socket you should be able to use a big enough depth and diameter that it shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing I've done is coupled magnets with a socket/pin arrangement. My Terminator combi-weapons were too big for the magnets I had, so I put a rod coming out of the fist and drilled a hole into the combi-weapons to accept it. The magnet keeps it on the fist and the pin keeps it from swiveling around.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a bunch of 1/16" n52's coming in the mail i ordered the other week, and i used some other 1/16" for the jump packs on my marines but am unsure on the strength of those.

I think those should do for weapons/wrists, but i'll need some 1/8" for the actual arms/shoulders it seems.

Parts swivelling is all down to leverage and weight balance.

While you can fit a 3mm magnet into the wrist and hand of an eldar Wraithlord, for example, the sword will force the hand to rotate due to the leverage/weight being far from the joint.

Two magnets (you need at least two) will hold and prevent rotation (but you can't do it on the aforementioned Wraithlord as the joint is not large enough to do two magnets). The alternative is either a magnet AND a pin, or two pins.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived