The Primer/Varnish Debate

Hi All,

For the past couple years I have been using the typical GW Chaos Black Primer. I have never really had any problems with it. Sometimes I would get a mini that came out "dusty" where the primer looks like it dried in the air. I am almost finished with my currently bottle of GW primer and the price is getting to me.

I would like to start using a grey primer and have been doing some research on brands and different shades of grey. I figured I would toss the question out to the B&C community to get your opinions and hear your experiences. The following brands have pretty good reviews: Tamiya, Army Painter, Krylon, ColorPlace, etc.

What brands do you use, and what would you recommend for a nice light grey primer?

EDIT -

I figured I would bring up varnishes as well here. What gloss varnishes does everyone use. For matte varnish I am a Testors lover but do not know much about gloss varnish to protect prior to using the matte (even though yes the directions say to use a gloss).

Thanks.

if you are in the uk.. halfords grey primer is my personal choice.. big can, decent quality, and is actually a primer unlike gw's chaos black.

definitley worth a look imho

I've often spoken to my dad about this, as he sometimes works on cars and has some of the Halfords stuff, and he says it's a primer and filler, have you had any problems with filling in details, etc?

Also Plastikote (I think That's how it's spelled) is suppose to be good.

thats a different product named "filler primer" rather than just normal primer..

they do 3 versions in total.. filler, plastic and normal.. i recommend normal personally but be advised they have a higher propellant pressure and solvent content than gw spray paint, so its advisable to use a test model first to get to grips with the difference in product..

I, too, use the halfords grey. It is much smoother and gives a finer finish so you dont lose detail. Words of warning though, let it dry properly or you can be adding unwanted details. I wish they did it black though.

Neil

WAAHAY my 100th post!!!!

thats a different product named "filler primer" rather than just normal primer..

they do 3 versions in total.. filler, plastic and normal.. i recommend normal personally but be advised they have a higher propellant pressure and solvent content than gw spray paint, so its advisable to use a test model first to get to grips with the difference in product..

Ah, thank you.

I use Dupli-Color sandable primer. Usually black, but they have gray as well. I found it coats much better (more thinly, preserving detail) than the GW stuff, especially in my climate (pacific NW). Great primer, and relatively inexpensive. Available at Wal-mart, Fred Meyer, Farm & Fleet, etc. etc.

I use Dupli-Color sandable primer. Usually black, but they have gray as well. I found it coats much better (more thinly, preserving detail) than the GW stuff, especially in my climate (pacific NW). Great primer, and relatively inexpensive. Available at Wal-mart, Fred Meyer, Farm & Fleet, etc. etc.

I use Duplicolor as well. It comes in white, black, brick red, and dark grey. Great stuff and good price ($5 US per can).

For gloss I use Krylon clear gloss, followed by Testors Dullcote-- be advised though that the gloss can change your colors slightly. Sometimes it can help smooth out color transitions in blending and whatnot, but it can also potentially tone down your highlights to invisibility. As usual, use a test model first.

I use Duplicolor as well. It comes in white, black, brick red, and dark grey. Great stuff and good price ($5 US per can).

For gloss I use Krylon clear gloss, followed by Testors Dullcote-- be advised though that the gloss can change your colors slightly. Sometimes it can help smooth out color transitions in blending and whatnot, but it can also potentially tone down your highlights to invisibility. As usual, use a test model first.

Well spoken, sir! Duplicolor is some of the BEST primer out there. Period. (At least in the U.S.) One of the factors that I like about it is that it seems to shrink as it dries, making sure that it keeps all the details of the mini that it is sprayed onto. This may not be to your preference, if you expect the spray prime to fill in any imperfections with the cleaning of the mini. Myself, I want all the detail (and imperfections) to be shown to me in the primer coat, before I end up putting a paint and brush to the figure.

Also, I agree with the use of Testors Dullcote (Dullcoat?) for final varnish. As Boltergeist mentions, it may increase the contrast of the mini that you spray it... Also, it is dead flat finish. Sometimes, I'll mask off an area that is supposed to be semi-gloss or metallic before dullcoating. Or, by going back with some brush-on gloss varnish to make an area shiny afterwords.

As always, YMMV.

Archived