painting metallic models

So i have just tried 5 different methods of painting bulk silver for my new grey knights.

i was trying to get a scale with very fast at one end and very good at the other. I was quite surprised that what was basically the fastest technique also ended up looking the best.

the first one i tried i started with black and worked up through boltgun etc through to mithril and then various mixtures of mithril with more and more skull white. i sent ages working on shading and i ended up not liking the end result. it wasn't bad it just didn't reflect the time taken.

the quickest i thought worked VERY well and i'm going to describe it below. it ended up very bright and clean but still with good shading. it is the same technique i used to paint my sanguinary guard gold.

I'm sure this exists but i haven't seen it anywhere so here ya go.

grey knights/sanguinary guard:

undercoat skull white

paint mithril silver/burnished gold (this will be a very patchy coat)

wash heavily with Asrumen blue/Gryphone Sepia

overbrush heavily with boltgun metal/dwarf bronze

overbrush lightly with chainmail/burnished gold

drybrush with mithril silver/(1:1 burnished gold:mithril Silver)

this worked very nicely with my sanguinary guard and i really want to get hold of a grey knight to try the silver version on

it works particularly well with the gold as it gives it a very strong bold quality which is hard to get with gold as it is quite pale

Archived