Basing my models - hit a dilema

bulley

Hey guys,

Actually really didn't know where to ask this - so I figured I'd ask in here.

Right now I am doing the sort of "final stretch" of my 1500 army for a tourney in just under 2 weeks time. At this stage I just have details (and terminator arms) to do left - so stuff like Aquilla's, Thunder hammers, guns and the likes.

Also one of the tasks left is basing.

Originally my plan was to base each squad by simply painting a marble like effect. However I've not had a chance to practice all the different colours I want and I am not sure it will come out brilliantly.

So I went back to my staple lava effect.

Now, with my green (sort of a jade/mint green highlight) the lava looks a little odd I think.

My question is - would a blue or purple "lava" effect - which ascetically speaking would look v.good, be a bit stupid?

Now we cant say its "not believable" since we have fishmen running around firing off guns, and 8 foot men turning into 2ft squig's - so we don't really have to factor that in. But more if you saw it (it would be a pretty high standard) would your reaction be "<_<? blue lava, leave" or "yup that works with the model looks kinda funky" or whatever.

due to my PC being silly atm I cant post up my test model with the actual lava effect - I'll try and get it up tomorrow - but here's the models it will go on (in their early stages).

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/bulley23/IMG_0296.jpg

(This is actually the test bike lol - for some reason cant get into my main folder :/)

Any thoughts would be good.

Actually, I don't see why a standard lava scheme wouldn't work - it would be using complimentary colors to what you have there after all. I feel blue/purple lava would be too close to your current paint job actually (unless you are not done with the pipes on that bike, they appear to be a deep blue/purple already). Unless of course you think it's silly for bikes to be riding across lava... which I suppose it may be, you would have to do it very subtly in my opinion, small fissures/glowing cracks and such.

Well if you're considering blue lava, why not have it be ice instead of rock, and water instead of lava? But conceivably, I think there might be something somewhere that glows blue when in a molten state, so blue lava would not be that far stretched.

Different coloured lava? I say go for it. I am replaying FF7 at the moment so the "life stream" immediately springs to mind.

Although, i think as that bike is painted in rather pastel shades, a bright red/orange lava would look great by adding a stark contrast to the model.

Al

Bully, I'd be interested to see the test base you did with the lava if you can get it up.

I agree that the base should do contrast.

I envy you...so many comments for your bike haha

Don't worry Tan, we love your alternative RW schemes as well.

Hahahahaha

I was just kidding: I understand that sometimes its not easy to make comments on WIP beyond a "looks good" which usually doesn't help much.

Thats why when I check out other peoples stuff, unless there is something that really stands out, I can't provide much help... besides the "keep it going" encouragement that keeps us fueled B)

Archived