Transparent Bases

Quixus

I was thinking about the bases for my models and wondered, why I would have to pick a certain terrain the models are on. Wouldn't it be easier to use transparent bases so that the models don't look out of place on the wrong gaming board like city bases on a desert board?

If someone wants to go overboard with the base like in a diorama or for a painting competition, it shouldn't make much of a difference if you glue stuff on a transparent or a black base.

The problem with transparent resin is that its easy that a small tiny bubble or defect gets caught in the mold unless you have a vacuum chamber (quite a bit of money) so... it wouldn't look so good.

Also, it would seem your models are floating 1/2cm above ground, which wouldn't look all that good (unless you do an all assault army I guess).

The problem with transparent resin is that its easy that a small tiny bubble or defect gets caught in the mold unless you have a vacuum chamber (quite a bit of money) so... it wouldn't look so good.
Aren't the tranparent parts of for example the Stormraven made out of plastic as well? Would GW or another company have the same problems with plastic?

Aren't some of the smaller flying vehicle supplied with transparent bases and stands?

Also, it would seem your models are floating 1/2cm above ground, which wouldn't look all that good (unless you do an all assault army I guess).
You got a point there

I wasn't actually trying to use transparent bases, just when I looked at the transparent parts of the Stormraven I started to wonder and thought this would be a way to get models finished more quickly without much of extra cost for GW or significant drawbacks for more detailed projects.

My bad, I though you were talking of casting your own bases (I'm finishing mine and I'm a bit focused right now...)

Obviously many companies use injection molding with clear polymers: GW and Heroclix for example. And those companies have proper equipment.

The thing with transparent models...have you seen the limited edition Frodo a few years ago? Its totally tranparent...it looks WIERD!

Are you thinking of a DIY? Maybe Glass Cannons? hehe

I remember seeing space marines with transparent bases a year or two ago on the internet. It was... interesting. Not ugly imo but it didn't look quite right. Maybe it's because I'm used to painted bases... B)

Archived