HH Books question...

This is gonna be a long thread. In my opinion Battle for the abyss and Tales of heresy didn´t really contribute much. Neither did the first DA book... Nemesis isn't really important for the storyline but it´s well written and have some cool characters....

If I could only buy one I'd get the first heretic. Has the most interesting stuff in it.

A few more and Id get the Loken saga.. The first three books that came out.

Fulgrim and Legion are pretty good.

IMO the rest not so important.

Horus Rising - Must

False Gods - Must

Galaxy in Flames - Must

The Flight of the Eisenstein - Must

Fulgrim - Must

Descent of Angels - only if you care about Dark Angels

Legion - only if you care about the Alpha Legion

Battle for the Abyss - forget about it, adds nothing

Mechanicum - nice read on what is happening on mars but not really necessary

Tales of Heresy - compilation, adds a little to the background but not really necessary

Fallen Angels - sequel to Descent of Angels

A Thousand Sons - Must

Nemesis - adds a little to the background but not really necessary

The First Heretic - Must

Prospero Burns - adds a little to the background but not really necessary (totally disappointing except for the last part)

As Valtonis said; in terms of the actual pivotal events then you need to read;

Horus Rising

False Gods

Galaxy in Flames

Flight of the Eisenstein

Fulgrim

A Thousand Sons

The First Heretic

In that order too, at least the first five as they are the actual first five books in the series.

O.k. thanks, I've heard that the first 4 are good, but not so much Fulgrim, What's it actually like? Also, is legion worth it do you think? (I did like Abnett's other stuff like GG and Eisenstein). And I don't think I've heard anything bad about TFH and ATS, so them aswell. Thanks for this guys will probably order them later today :)

Fulgrim I found initially quite hard to get into as I really disliked how the EC were portrayed but it really does pick up. Their descent into madness and damnation is really well written.

When legion first came out I was a little like 'meh' as previous fluff I had read about AL in a couple of the old codexes hadn't done anything for me. I picked it up for something to read on a long journey and I was completely hooked. I hadn't been into 40k for years but it got me to the point that I wanted to start getting back into it by building and playing AL.

O.k. thanks, I've heard that the first 4 are good, but not so much Fulgrim, What's it actually like? Also, is legion worth it do you think? (I did like Abnett's other stuff like GG and Eisenstein). And I don't think I've heard anything bad about TFH and ATS, so them aswell. Thanks for this guys will probably order them later today :tu:

Fulgrim is really good it tells of the Fulgrim and the Emperor's Children's fall, what they were like before and after.

Fulgrim's relationship with his brothers and there is a kickass fight scene between two primarchs at the end

Legion is a novel where either you love it or you hate it. i personally hate it but there are alot of people that love it

If I could only buy one I'd get the first heretic. Has the most interesting stuff in it.

A few more and Id get the Loken saga.. The first three books that came out.

Fulgrim and Legion are pretty good.

IMO the rest not so important.

I agree 100%, the first three are must reads, if you get any, get them.

Lithior

Fulgrim and Legion are definitely worth it. Legion had a beautiful portrayal of the cloak and dagger nature of the Alpha Legion. I had no idea about the overall plot until about midway through. In Fulgrim, Mcneil wrote the descent into madness quite well. I was actually quite sad when Fulgrim completely turned, and was despairing throughout the book as, though I knew what was going to happen, I would get my hopes up whenever there was an opportunity for them to turn away from the path, then have them dashed when they didn't turn away. The Eldar bit was particularly tragic.

Whether you enjoy a certain book or not has to do with personal taste. Each has their worth (though some, although very well written, almost put me to sleep) . However, I will say the first 3 hands down are the most memorable and vivid portrayal of the Horus Heresy so far. You can't go wrong with the books that set the stage for the series.

I'm not sure how anyone can say 'I like X book but Y book is not important'. They have a place in telling the story of the HH. Sure, someone may like one book but dislike the next but the same could be said for someone who reads the least liked book in the series and thinks it's the best. Personal preference is what it comes down to but in the end, it's all to link things together.

On a personal level, after re-reading some of the books, I've thought that I need to re-read the books I found less exciting. It'll be a case of them growing on me more than the first time.

Now if only some massive film company would say 'Hey GW, let's get this series into a film format and blow everything else out the water!'. A man can dream though, a man can dream...

Archived