Freehand DW/ DA icons tutorial

Sandalphon

Since there's a lot of DW craziness going on at the moment i thought i'd share my free-hand chapter badge method with you all.

Funnily enough i only just realised i forgot to 'break' my DW sword :lol: , but the concept is still sound~! i guess that makes a step 7 for DW ;)

For the following guide I used a citadel fine detail brush and a roughly 75/25 red gore/ water mix

gallery_5435_3210_474091.jpg

Finshed product (sans break :) )

gallery_5435_3210_122931.jpg

Same technique with skull white for a DA Icon

gallery_5435_3210_341304.jpg

I hope you find this useful!

I am sure many will find it extremely useful, Sandalphon... that is a great example of how what appears to be a complicated technique can be broken down in to steps that even i could possibly render... Great wrok and thanks!:) Wouldn't mind nicking it for the Fortress site when i get around to updating... :P

SG

The only problem I see is that both the Deathwing symbol and the Dark Angles symbol have 4 feathers, not 5. However, that is a small nitpick in a useful guide.

Ah, but the Forgeworld Deathwing Shoulder pads have about 7-8 wings on each side.... I think the number is perhaps poetically increasable !! :)

SG

Sg by all means add it to the fortress, i would be honoured... but maybe i should finish one and add the break first lol.

Thanks all for the comments, hope it was a useful exercise :lol:

will hopefully be able to update sometime this week.

The only problem I see is that both the Deathwing symbol and the Dark Angles symbol have 4 feathers, not 5. However, that is a small nitpick in a useful guide.

Ah, but the Forgeworld Deathwing Shoulder pads have about 7-8 wings on each side.... I think the number is perhaps poetically increasable !! :P

SG

They're also not just the basic symbol. *shrug* Just pointing it out.

Archived