Painting battle damage on death company

1Drop

Ok so I seen at one of my local GW's (I have two stores in my area) that they had painted up a squad of DC and a DC Storm Raven with alot of really cool looking battle damage, it looked chrome like as if the paint had been blasted off!

Can anyone explain the best way to achieve this as I want to do it on my squad of DC and their SR and my DC dread that belongs to that über unit too.

I don't know about best, but certainly the easiest way (and the way I do it) is to paint up your DC and then on the edges, and on any battle damage you model on, paint boltgun metal (or whatever colour you like), for the edges, start at the sharpest part (the vertex as it were) and work outward carefully. flicking the brush can create a jagged effect that makes it look more realistic. for other battle damage you do essentially the same thing, but start darker in the recesses and get lighter. The finish the model with whatever wash or whatnot you use, or just leave it.

hope that helps!

So are you saying to actually carve damage into the model itself? I was hoping to do it by just painting the damage on! So just using boltgun metal to paint it on but I'm just not sure how to do it so it do set just look like lines of silver all over.

you can carve it on, I've done it, and if you do it carefully it looks rather nice.

You can also just paint it on, but the trick is to stay away from open areas, I have found that painting metal onto plates just looks bad. I find working slowly and with minimal paint on a detail brush works best, take whatever metal you want to use (I use boltgun) and thin it to however you normally would, and then start at the edges of plates, like the knees, the feet the elbows the shoulders, any part that would be likely to be hit, or used to kill things in a brawl. Then flick your brush carefully toward the centre of the plates so you get jagged edges on the plates. I feel like I'm explaining this badly, but my camera is broken and I don't have any pictures of it...

is that any better?

Things that don't belong in the tutorials area:

Questions that aren't a tutorial for starters.

"What color do I highlight Scorpion Green with?" Isn't a tutorial or even a tutorial question. That is for General PCA Questions.

"Does anyone want a tutorial on X?" If you have a tutorial then just post it. You can find tutorials that people are looking for in the Tutorial Requests Thread.

"Where can I find/buy model/paint/tool X?" Again this is something for General PCA Questions.

Basically if it isn't something that isn't a step by step instruction it shouldn't be in here!

Topic moved.

I thought this had been deleted :lol:

James over at blood angels found it for me tho :down:

Ok thanks for your advice, I think I have an idea of what I'd like to do, think I'm gonna do like what you have advised plus use a codex grey underline/low light so doing the grey/White line first then going through the silvers from that.

Archived