Help with Washes?

Hello all,

I have been trying my hand at washes/glazing, and am running into issues. I am using Devlan Mud and Valejo black ink, and I cannot get the results I am looking for. I have tried water, dish soap, and floor finish, all with bad results. The Devlan mud just turnd out, well, muddy! it leaves pools in all the wrong places, and doesn't fill in with the right fluidity. The Valejo ink stains thing too dark, or turns everything muddy like the wash. I am trying multiple mixtures but repainting far too many minis. Can someone with more experience at this shed some light please?

I think it would help if you tell us what effect you are looking for. Washes can be used in a variety of ways and a number of effects can be achieved. eg for a basic trooper, paint a solid basecoat, then liberally apply wash, wait to dry. then paint your base colour in thin layers on the armour plates leaving your shading in the recesses. the final stage will tidy up any pooling.

This is at its most basic level, it depends on your colour choice / figure, some people only paint the wash in the recesses then tidy up with basecoat.

The tutorial section here has an abundance of articles which are very good. Lamenters yellow tutorial springs to mind

Sounds like you're putting too much wash down. Have a piece of tissue (high quality, not toilet roll) handy to touch your brush on to take off excess fluid / wash. Then pull the brush from the high spot toward the recess where you want the wash to be concentrated and it should work much better. Use a similar technique for glazes, with a thinner mix (so it's less opaque) and less on your brush (so it spreads evenly rather than pools).

GW's line 'you can't put on too much wash' is, quite frankly, utter bollocks. Sometimes a splosh wash is fine, but for most purposes a 'directed' (or at least controlled) wash following the above gives a much better result.

GW's line 'you can't put on too much wash' is, quite frankly, utter bollocks. Sometimes a splosh wash is fine, but for most purposes a 'directed' (or at least controlled) wash following the above gives a much better result.

Damned true! I'll bet that didnt come from the mouth's of any 'Eavy Metal painters.....

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys, sorry for not responding for so long. Been in the field for almost a month. I am looking for a couple of different effects actually. I am painting Deathwing terminators and Space Wolf grey hunters. I am trying to use devlan mud as a basic shading for both, with the added effect of giving the models a less "clean" look. I am using the vallejo ink to shade the metal bits (bolters etc.). I am also trying to darken up some Dark Angels that by neccessity were primered white instead of black. Any and all help is much appreciated. I will try some of the techs you guys mentioned, and will check out that tut on yellow.

Archived