Ravenwing Attack Squadron loadout

kizzap88

This might be the wrong space to put this, but I hope that I have put it into the right area:

OK so my question is as such:

In the RAS wargear listing, we are given the choice of having either a Bolt Pistol OR a chainsword. Now as far as I can tell, both of these options are a moot point in any form of offensive means with the bike's T/L Bolters being used over the Bolt Pistol, and the chainsword not offering any bonuses in combat at all (not even two close combat weapons!). Therefore I am left thinking that the only benefit of having this option is for would allocation purposes, would this be correct?

I guess if this is correct, then would i be ideal for myself, if I run a squad of 3 bikes, with 2 MMs, to run the squad as follows:

Sarg, with chainsword

1st pleb with MM and chainsword

2nd pleb with MM and Bolt Pistol

this way, each model is individually different from the rest of the other members, so I can load up wounds on specific models (not that it really matters as far as I know)

And I guess it would help with the 6man squad equivalent as well:

sarg with chainsword

1st pleb with MM and chainsword,

2nd pleb with MM and bolt pistol

3rd pleb with Bolt pistol

4th pleb with Bolt Pistol

5th pleb with chainsword

This would give 5 different wound allocation options as far as I can read, (sarg, mm and chainsword, mm and bolt pistol, 2x bolt pistol and chainsword)

I guess the important question to ask though, is it really worth the effort to go and equip models as such to take advantage of this loadout?

Kizzap

I was actually thinking the same the other day... and since I had a few laying around, I included the holstered pistols on a few models in order to represent that.

I guess the only advantage would be with low AP or high S shots and having also several non-lethal shots...to stack wounds/kills.

@Chaplain Lucifer:

If that is so, with it not being worth the time, why then should we bother doing the same with the Deathwing squads? (I know there is a benefit because of the TH/SS combo with the invun saves)

@Tanhausen:

The thing that gets me though, is that there is no reason to ever fire the bolt pistol...being that it is the same STR and AP as the T/L boltguns on the bike, with the boltgun having the advantage of being rapid fire so at the 12 inches that you are getting into, you are still better off firing the bolters. And that you are only able to fire one of those weapons.

Also just a clarification to the bolter/s on the bike: Is it one T/L bolter or two? And as I understand it, bikes can move up to 12" and fire the full 24" of the bolter, right?

kizzap

Hmm are you sure it is just one shot? It's just how the codex words it, and the way that the bike is modelled. The part I'm referring to is on pg 85 C:DA:

Under wargear it is listed as the Bikes having "Space Marine bike with twin-linked BOLTERS and teleport homer" thus implying teh use of two bolters surely?

Hmm are you sure it is just one shot? It's just how the codex words it, and the way that the bike is modelled. The part I'm referring to is on pg 85 C:DA:

Under wargear it is listed as the Bikes having "Space Marine bike with twin-linked BOLTERS and teleport homer" thus implying teh use of two bolters surely?

Twin linked bolters means you get to fire 1 bolter with the twin linked rule. They always write twin-linked weapons in the plural.

It is one twin linked bolter, so 2 shots at 12" with rerolls. Wound allocation is good for RAS. While the benefit is not as good as it is for multiple wound models, it still allows you to stack armor ignoring wounds on one model, keeping the others alive.

It is one twin linked bolter, so 2 shots at 12" with rerolls. Wound allocation is good for RAS. While the benefit is not as good as it is for multiple wound models, it still allows you to stack armor ignoring wounds on one model, keeping the others alive.

I could be wrong but I thought you could only do that if individual models' armour saves were different (ie 3+ or 2=/5++ or 3=/4++ etc) which occurs in DWs quads by virtue of the Storm Shields etc but not is a standard RAS as they all have the same armour save unless a Master or int chaplain accompany them with better armour/inv saves.

SG

Well you can still attribute wounds to different model groups no matter what their saves. It's a good way of getting rid of the 'plain' bikers while (trying) to safeguard the special weapon guys and sargeant.

Cheers

I

Archived