Capes for Terminators

I've been wanting to do a Terminator-armored version of my Chapter Master for some time now, but the problem is I want to give him a nice cape. Now I have one of those capes from the Chaos Lord kit, but I don't think it quite matches something you'd expect from a Loyalist leader. So, are there any alternatives to it? Aside from filling out those tears with Green Stuff of course...

Speaking of Green Stuff, I'm not too confident in my GS skills enough to even try and make a cape of my own.

So, any leads people might offer?

Chaos Warrior capes aren't all teary and might be workable with a bit of modification.

Hey, my loyalist chapter master has the chaos cloak!

The choas warrior cloaks work well on the smaller terminators from earlier editions once they've been cut down and sized properly.

It should be possible to do the same with a modern terminator so long as you're prepared to spend the time it takes to remove the shoulderplates that are part of the piece.

I'm seeing a lot of possibilities with Fantasy Battle, but since I'm not familiar with the Warriors of Chaos models I have to ask just how well do they scale with your modern 40k Terminator?

Hmm, a few other models (Empire and Brettonians) seem to have capes as well, but they might be a wee too small for this particular conversion project.

You could also use one of the metal bodies that have a cape. Lysander and the Chaos Lord are the easy to get ones. The only other ones I can think of are Marneus' and the SH sergeant Lorenzo. Calgars torso is a single piece though, so with a bit of luck you might find a bits seller that has his torso. The SH minis show up quite frequently on certain auction sites as well (usually quite expensive though).

If you don't want to use GS you could also use sheet metal to make a cape or heat some plastic card and form it how you want it. Search for tutorials on making flags or banners and you'll find some good ones.

I'm also not that good with the GS. I made a cape which (surprisingly) turned out quite nice. It did take 2 or 3 goes though.

Method.

Step 1: Roll out some GS over a sheet of aluminium foil. Roll it out as thin as you can. I used the back of a spoon.

Step 2: Cut the shape you want. I started with a square and worked back from that.

Step 3: Pose it over your model so that it moulds to the shape of shoulders, neck, accessories, etc.

Step 4: Using a piece of coat hanger (approx 1mm in diametre) I shaped small folds in the cape.

Put it aside and let it set then glue on.

I experimented with cutting different shapes to achieve different effects. Eg. A Rhumbus kinda looked like it was flapping in a breeze out to the side. I couldn't get the folds to look right though. But hey .. you'll no doubt have more patience than me.

Good luck

conandoodle: The lack of readily-available petroleum jelly makes it hard to work with GS. :)

Thanks for the advise everyone. I'm thinking of buying the range of capes available from the WFB line when I get my next salary, from Empire, Elves, and Dark Elves, and see how things scale, and how reverse-compatible they are for your vanilla Terminator. Hopefully they won't take TOO much converting (I still have scars from the last time I tried to use the Chaos Lord cape).

Except the skavens, since I've found that they're too short.

The plastic Chaos Lord kit has a cape, it's a little torn, but can probably be patched up with minimal use of green stuff.

whoops my bad i didn't read the part about you not wanting the plastic version, but still a job like that should be relatively easy.

conandoodle: The lack of readily-available petroleum jelly makes it hard to work with GS. :(

You don't need petroleum jelly. Just make sure you keep it and your tools moist with water when you are working it. That should work fine.

I've also heard of the tin foil (/kitchen foil/aluminium foil) method, though I've not tried it myself. Supposed to leave you with a beautifully smooth cape surface.

conandoodle: The lack of readily-available petroleum jelly makes it hard to work with GS. ;)

Sir,

I just use water. Damn, half the time I just lick the sculpting tool.

Was also just reading on another forum that tissue (4 ply) and PVA are great. Never head of this until tonight. A quick search on the google stick should return some results.

Archived