Drop Pods and Units not Embarked (while entering play)

MasterHQ

Hey, just a quick question. I have researched this in the rule books as much as I can and this is what I want to do --

I want to take 2 drop pods with locator beacons and then drop them, empty onto the battlefield following normal drop pod assault rules. But I want them empty, no troops embarked.

The reason is two fold -- first, they create nice, obstructing terrain for my guys to hide behind while the prepare to assault the enemy. Second, they will provide teleport/deep strike anchors for large parts of my army (10 terminators, 10 vanguards, etc). I want to use pods because I know they will land in a good place, thanks to interial dampening system, plus I doubt the enemy will waste time on killing them when provided with so much juicier targets.

But my question is, because the pod is a dedicated transport, does it have to enter play with the unit embarked, or can I deploy the unit and leave the transport empty? Page 67 of the core book says that a dedicated transport may only carry the unit it was bought for when it enters play, but it does not say that the transport must carry the unit. Thoughts?

It is very common to have people drop empty pods onto the table for the exact purpose you described. And as JamesI stated, it is completely legal.

As a side note, whenever I play with/against pods my group agrees that pods don't completely block LOS, they merely give a cover save to units behind, because they are open topped vehicles. But that's just the way my group plays.

Archived