Interesting Caliban reference in Prospero Burns...

Isiah

I'm currently reading Prospero Burns. On page 176 there is a reference by one of the characters (Hawser) to Caliban. Hawser is considering taking a sabbatical to study there:

"Caliban, perhaps. An investigative mission has been sent to audit the Great and Fearsome Bestiaries in the bastion libraries."

That's it. But the idea that such a book or books exist I find quite interesting. Technically bestiaries are stories providing physical and allegorical descriptions of real or imaginary animals along along with an interpretation of the moral significance each animal was thought to embody. Or so answers.com tells me. No doubt the Caliban versions are more factual – based on descriptions/examples of those beats quested by the knightly orders of Caliban.

Who knows, with thunder wolves in Codex SW and Jokaero 'monkeys' in Codex GK... we might end up with a beast in our next 'dex... deep striking of course :P. There might have been a top secret breeding progamme to keep some going :tu:

It's an interesting thought and certainly not out of the realm of possibility these days. Perhaps giving Dark Angels the second Monstrous Creature in a Marine Codex? Could be interesting to get some Fantasy monsters and put them on 40k Bases.

As it stands though all the beasts of Caliban have been destroyed, and it's more likely that Watchers in the Dark will become some sort of upgrade for our HQ's much like Jokaero are Inquisitorial Henchmen.

Who knows, with thunder wolves in Codex SW and Jokaero 'monkeys' in Codex GK... we might end up with a beast in our next 'dex... deep striking of course ;). There might have been a top secret breeding progamme to keep some going :devil:

*Prays to Emperor that this WON'T HAPPEN.*

I'm all ten for Jawas Watchers, but please no beast-riding marines.

Who knows, with thunder wolves in Codex SW and Jokaero 'monkeys' in Codex GK... we might end up with a beast in our next 'dex... deep striking of course ;). There might have been a top secret breeding progamme to keep some going :devil:

Seconded. The Dark Angels are about as anti-beast-riding Marines as you get in a Chapter. Their Primarch executed the greatest beast-slaying pogrom in Calabanite history, and the pre-DA Order wiped out the Knights of Lupus, who bred/preserved/made an extraordinarily dangerous petting zoo out of the Great Beasts. There is nothing in our fluff that says we should have anything more to do with Monstrous Creatures than destroying them.

Of course, depending upon who is writing our codex, we could end up with Thunderlion Cavalry....

...which would be lame.

We could end up with Thunderlion Cavalry....

...which would be lame.

The Lion was actually called Adam you see, and by the power of Grey Skull...

I do agree though that we shouldn't have beasts of any kind, it would be rather silly.

Al

I just got this crazy image in my head of Azrael holding up the Sword of Secrets and shouting, "I have the powweerrrrrrrrr!" before jumping on Battle Cat... er, Thunder Lion, and rampaging off to war.

Really need to get more sleep.

Thunderlion Cavalry, or any manner of Calabanite Beasts running around 10,000 years later, is a Seriously Bad Idea.

If anybody at GW is reading, please note: Seriously Bad Idea.

:P :P

Thunderlion Cavalry, or any manner of Calabanite Beasts running around 10,000 years later, is a Seriously Bad Idea.

Repeated because it's important. :P

Hmm.. 4 rending attacks each, Furious charge, Hit and Run or Infiltrate or Move Through Cover, Stealth (?) ... Fast Attack Choice (becoming Troops if Azrael is present) ... we could have a Calabanite Lion army!!!

Holy Emperor, I'm warming to the idea ;) :lol:

Hmm.. 4 rending attacks each, Furious charge, Hit and Run or Infiltrate or Move Through Cover, Stealth (?) ... Fast Attack Choice (becoming Troops if Azrael is present) ... we could have a Calabanite Lion army!!!

Holy Emperor, I'm warming to the idea :) :lol:

Bump up Azrael's points-cost by 25 points in 6th Ed. for his new special rule:

Ringmaster of the Unforgiven: The Rock is home to many strange things of Caliban's past. In the dust of ages, beneath the deepest dungeons of the Dark Angels' fortress monastery, the Supreme Grandmaster can access the last of the Great Beasts of Caliban, frozen in stasis fields before the world's destruction. If Azrael is present in the army, Thunderlion Cavalry may be taken as a Troops choice.

I'm three days too late!

Holy Emperor, I'm warming to the idea :) :P

Sounds more Ravening-ish. Maybe we'll ride actual Giant Raven's. :)

Seriously if they do this it would be such a break from the foundations of the Dark Angels, one of the main reasons for playing the DA will become so meaningless, might as well go play C:SM

We could end up with Thunderlion Cavalry....

...which would be lame.

I do agree though that we shouldn't have beasts of any kind, it would be rather silly.

Al

I think you are mistaken, it is obvious that the Lion's brother was in fact Adam - http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Deliv...ost_cropped.jpg

Bowl cut and all.

OT though, I can't say I like the idea of riding any sort of beast. I'm still reeling from the GK's inclusion of the Jokaero.

I don't need actual lions, but I would love some icons of lions. For instance, the winged sword icon with the skull in the middle would be great if they replaced the skull with a lion's head.

I think I'd have to quit playing Dark Angels all together if they started riding 'battle-lions', etc. We won't even fight on the same battlefield as an Ogryn or Ratling, but we'll ignore our massive power armor carrying obviously-would-have-to-be-mutants 'battle-cats'? Man that would stink...

Honestly, given the "savage" background of the Space Wolves, the Thunderwolves do make some sense, but for the DA? Please, whoever is writing our next Codex, please don't do this to us!

The beasts of Caliban were Chaos-tainted and were hunted down to extinction. This happened before the reunification, which is why any outsidee that knows of the bestiaries can only be read about the beasts. And now Caliban is no more. It doesn't mean that similar beasts wouldn't exist on other Chaos-tainted worlds, but if Dark Angels began riding Chaos-tainted beasts, I think I would be done with them.

Who knows, with thunder wolves in Codex SW and Jokaero 'monkeys' in Codex GK... we might end up with a beast in our next 'dex... deep striking of course :). There might have been a top secret breeding progamme to keep some going :HQ:

Seconded. The Dark Angels are about as anti-beast-riding Marines as you get in a Chapter. Their Primarch executed the greatest beast-slaying pogrom in Calabanite history, and the pre-DA Order wiped out the Knights of Lupus, who bred/preserved/made an extraordinarily dangerous petting zoo out of the Great Beasts. There is nothing in our fluff that says we should have anything more to do with Monstrous Creatures than destroying them.

Of course, depending upon who is writing our codex, we could end up with Thunderlion Cavalry....

...which would be lame.

Now I wan't to convert a Giant Lion with a Company Master riding it as a display piece... Thanks... lol

• 2 weeks later...

and again, it is important. :lol:

No chapter/legion hates chaos as much as us. We will bomb the hell out of our own brothers without hesitation if they show corruption, GW NO Beasts for us please :D .

Lance

The beasts of Caliban were Chaos-tainted and were hunted down to extinction. This happened before the reunification, which is why any outside that knows of the bestiaries can only be read about the beasts. And now Caliban is nor more. It doesn't mean that similar beasts wouldn't exist on other Chaos-tainted worlds, but if Dark Angels began riding Chaos-tainted beasts, I think I would be done with them.

Simply this.

Also... it reminds me of A Thousand Sons:

Space Wolf: "There it is again ... I saw it!"

Ahriman: "Saw what? Are you drunk again?"

Space Wolf: "Dude... there is totally a daemon on your shoulder..."

Ahriman: "Pffff... my pet Bubbles? Sooooo fluffy."

Space Wolf: "But... but... but... don't move. I'll get my axe."

Ahriman: "Philistine! Can't an enlightened man walk around with his daemon hanging out?"

There is NO reason they would ride extinct beasts, from a non-existent planet, or warp tainted beasts from random planets, or "caliban-lions" (this one I never understood the logic behind).

As a point of interest check out this excellently painted 'Lion Warrior Chapter' marine in the PCA section's Hall of Honour linky ;).

Yyeeeeessssssss...... :P

As a point of interest check out this excellently painted 'Lion Warrior Chapter' marine in the PCA section's Hall of Honour linky :).

Yyeeeeessssssss...... ;)

Hahaha, stoking the fire.

For the rest of you, we get it, it's crazy unfluffy. But people will do it just for the novelty of it. I'm with you guys though, lets hope it doesn't wind up in the codex.

Archived