Word Bearers much larger than 100,000

Immediately after the Word Bearers get the distress call from Monarchia they jump in the Warp to head to Khur.

And as we know, 100,000 Astartes arrived two months later along with Lorgar.

However the ENTIRE Legion scattered amongst the Expeditionary Fleets probably were not exactly two months away.

Lorgar only referred to the the entire Legion being present at Forty-Seven Sixteen which was months after the events of the Emperor's castigation of Lorgar in the ruins of Monarchia.

I think that the bulk of the Legion was still in transit at the time.

They would have arrived much later AFTER Lorgar was "corrected" by the Emperor.

This would explain the discrepancy in Scions of the Storm where Sar Talgron refers to Lorgar having met the Emperor on the Emperor's flagship. He didn't know about the events on Khur because they arrived after the fact with the remaining bulk of the Legion.

The true events on Khur were suppressed by Erebus and Kor Phaeron.

Only the 100,000 Word Bearers who were able to arrive in two months know the truth.

You have to take into account that the warp is very myseterious, it could be that the dark gods knew what was gonna happen to an extent and changed the emyrean enough so that they all arrived at around the same time. I personally think only the Word Bearers where oblivious of the fact that they were going to be chastised. Just like when Magnus was oblivious to what was going-on at Nikea.

You have to take into account that the warp is very myseterious, it could be that the dark gods knew what was gonna happen to an extent and changed the emyrean enough so that they all arrived at around the same time. I personally think only the Word Bearers where oblivious of the fact that they were going to be chastised. Just like when Magnus was oblivious to what was going-on at Nikea.

I second this motion.

Perhaps, but how did Sar Talgron think that the Emperor castigated Lorgar on the Emperor's battle barge?

If Sar Talgron had been at Monarchia with the 100,000 present he wouldn't have thought that.

Immediately after the Word Bearers get the distress call from Monarchia they jump in the Warp to head to Khur.

However the ENTIRE Legion scattered amongst the Expeditionary Fleets probably were not exactly two months away.

Lorgar only referred to the the entire Legion being present at Forty-Seven Sixteen which was months after the events of the Emperor's castigation of Lorgar in the ruins of Monarchia.

They would have arrived much later AFTER Lorgar was "corrected" by the Emperor.

This would explain the discrepancy in Scions of the Storm where Sar Talgron refers to Lorgar having met the Emperor on the Emperor's flagship. He didn't know about the events on Khur because they arrived after the fact with the remaining bulk of the Legion.

The true events on Khur were suppressed by Erebus and Kor Phaeron.

Only the 100,000 Word Bearers who were able to arrive in two months know the truth.

im pretty sure it states the whole legion was present, 100,000 marines.

Although i think they grew in number shortly after as Loragr told them to recruit more, i think from the beginning he wanted to check the power of the ultramarines who were 2.5x the size of average legions

The discrepancy is explained by something much less interesting.

I couldn't - literally, couldn't - equate the chastising of Lorgar and his entire Legion to a meeting between a primarch and the Emperor on board a ship, which later filtered down to his captains at a meeting. I tried my level best to make sure the rest of 'Scions of the Storm' linked up with The First Heretic (even to the point that the opening captains' meeting can be considered a post-chastisement discussion, with a few 'off' sentences) but ultimately it came down to what was better for the series, and what made a better story. Which is why the Emperor forces Lorgar and his Legion to kneel in the dust of their perfect city, as an example of how they've failed him. I try to tread with care, and retcon very rarely in my 40K work, but that was something I felt needed to be tweaked, and I definitely don't regret it.

As for the Legion size, they recruited heavily after Lorgar returned from the Eye of Terror.

Very, very heavily.

Just because the legion was scattered amongst the expeditionary fleets doesn't mean that the majority could not assemble within 2 months. It's a bit of a leap to assume that 'the bulk' of the legion was missing. There doesn't appear to be any evidence to support this.

I don't think the chastising would have been as effective had not the entire legion been there. It was a visceral move on the emperors part to make every member feel it wholly. The whole legion had to feel it so there was no room for debate... Just how I presume the emperor wanted it, he doesn't look much like the kind of guy who puts up with dissidence.

For the record, yeah, they were all there.

The Word Bearers significantly increased in numbers after Lorgar returned from the Eye of Terror.

For... various reasons that will become clear in the passing of time.

The Word Bearers significantly increased in numbers after Lorgar returned from the Eye of Terror.

Did it have anything to do with another particularly large legion? Or were they just trying to get a bulk discount on chainswords?

Damn you A-D-B !! NOw I just can't wait to know these reasons :D

Did it have anything to do with another particularly large legion? Or were they just trying to get a bulk discount on chainswords?

Calth was a big deal to the Word Bearers, make no mistake. But it was far from the biggest.

Calth was a big deal to the Word Bearers, make no mistake. But it was far from the biggest.

Milking slave systems' populations for seven years of the Age of Darkness before Terra? Gehemahnets, gehemahnets everywhere. . . ^_^

After Calth, but before the Siege of Terra.

Although, yeah, that too.

I know other people have said this but, it's great that you're on the B&C with us fans!

So the Word Bearers by the time of the Heresy had been much expanded...Awesome!

Did all the traitor Legions do this mass buildup of forces?

Just out of curiosity, how did they get to Khur so quickly?

It isn't hard to bolster a large force before the seige of terra if all you have to do is turn all the mere mortals you come across into chaos hosts. With the infinite amount of major and minor demons, the sky is the limit

Archived