Istvaan III and V

Greetings brothers and sisters.

I was wondering what happen to the loyalist gene-seed?

Did the traitors take it or leave it to the crows?

Also why we are at it, did they take armour, relics , banners and vehicles?

One more thing. did any loyalist try to go there and recover relics or banners or equipment?

Istvaan III i doubt that there was anything left to recover after a virus bombing then the immolation of the planet.

Istvaan V is a tricky matter. I hope it gets addressed in the novels. The loyalists would have been more on the backfoot after the dropsite massacre. I doubt if they had a chance to recover any relics/armour from the planet.

Im sure Perturabo would have nabbed a few tanks at least.

On Istvaan III I'm pretty sure they would have done so, as it makes little sense to leave precious power armour and ammunition just lying around when you are soon to be launching off on a galaxy-wide civil war which will surely create great demand for such things. In the aftermath of Istvaan V in The First Heretic, Erebus and Argel Tal are talking, and they watch the World Eaters taking trophies, and looting the bodies of the dead. Just to counter my own point though, in the same part of the book, they watch the Iron Warriors dispassionately moving the bodies of the dead to create a pyre, which suggests that salvage wasn't going on in all the legions.

However with gene-seed I'm not so sure. In Soul Hunter by A D-B I seem to remember Talos mentioning that he would never use Uzas' gene-seed in the creation of new Night Lords, and if that isn't just me making up conveniant evidence to support my argument, we do have a precedent of marines not wishing to use gene-seed based on a significant difference of views with the donor. In this case, using the gene-seed of the fallen might be seen as diluting the legions with the traits of the weaklings who still follow the 'false' emperor. However, I don't think any of the Horus Heresy books specifically mention the collection of gene-seed in this context, so I can't give you anything concrete.

Anyway, hope I helped more than I hindered!

Thanks your not hindering me at all. Just trying to find out some infromation on what happen after the battle. If the Iron Warriors moved the bodies of the dead to create a pyre, you would think the armour would be ok just burnt. On another note, has any loyalist recpture any relics or banners from the traitors in the last 10,000 years?

I don't know about Legion of One, but there is precedent for geneseed being recycled; best example Honsou of the Iron Warriors. He has Imperial Fist Geneseed, he also used geneseed from an Imperial storage facility to create more Iron Warriors for his army.

as it makes little sense to leave precious power armour and ammunition just lying around when you are soon to be launching off on a galaxy-wide civil war which will surely create great demand for such things.

Well, the traitors have Mars and numerous Forge Worlds arming them. They really dont need to scavenge.

I don't know about Legion of One, but there is precedent for geneseed being recycled; best example Honsou of the Iron Warriors. He has Imperial Fist Geneseed, he also used geneseed from an Imperial storage facility to create more Iron Warriors for his army.

Yeah but thats 10,000 years after the fact, they were expecting to win and still had plenty of Apothecarys to culture/harvest additional gen-seed, plus the assistance of the "Dark" Mechanicum. (Gosh I hate that name)

Archived