Similar Primarchs

I have seen in a few threads the idea that there was redundancy built in to the Primarchs and that many of them can be paired up according to similar combat styles etc. I guess the most obvious example of this would be Rogal Dorn and Perturabo. Based on this which primarchs would you match up and why?

I see white scars and space wolves as kind of similar, both cherishing the hunt, but I don't know much fluff about the Khan. I would also pair Ferrus and Perturabo, they feel like yin and yang to me. And lastly, world eaters and night lords

Hmmm quite tricky to keep separate combat styles rather than combat and personality but here's how I see it at least:

Dorn - Perturabo

Angron - Sanguinius

Khan - Russ

Corax - Alpharius

Horus - The Lion

Gulliman - Mortarion

Ferrus Manus - Vulkan

Magnus - Lorgar

I don't really see Fulgrim or Night Haunter having any real similarities with the rest, possibly they did with the missing Primarchs but thats a story all on its own. Fulgrim fights for perfection and Night Haunter wants the enemy :cussting bricks before he even gets near them. Pretty unique to say the least

I think while some preferred combat styles of the Legions line-up, so to speak, saying that they are redundant feels...cheap and lazy, somehow. The writers of the 40k universe have put in a lot of effort to add so many layers of characterization to the Primarchs that to make some even slightly copies of another sells the universe way short.

Each loyal Primarch, in my view (and others as well) has his traitorous counterpart and, in some cases, their styles of war are similar.

Case in point, Dorn and Perturabo. They are opposites in respect to their attitudes toward service, but their tactical natures are similar.

The counterpoint would be Alpharius/Omegon and Guilliman. They are very much opposites in all things, focusing on their attitudes towards rules and authority. Their battle styles are also opposites.

I don't think this works.. this two sides of a coin thing.. Legion that fights like Alpha Legion?? Or thousand Sons?

Some I tried .....

IW IF

WE SW

EC BA

WB UM

The only ones that really fit are IW IF thats it IMO..

I always wondered why Manus and Perturabo were never closer or for that matter greater rivals. The love of technology seemed to be a common factor for both of them. Also Manus and Vulkan shared a great talent for metal work. Vulkan grew up in a culture that was focus on the forge while Manus had those hands! In Fulgrim it made a reference to him producing great metal creations with only his hands and to this day the Salamanders take weapons symbolic of the forge into battle. While we're on the subject, Dorn and Perturabo's specialties lay in siege warfare but I always got the feeling that the Imperial Fists were more inclined to defending while the Iron Warriors were more adept at breaking sieges. Am I right in that assumption?

I think Ferrus Manus was more interested in craftsmanship and creating something perfect whereas Perturabo couldn't care less how something looked or how efficient it was so long as it worked. Take, for example, their armor. Plain, unpainted ceramite. No artistry.

I'm sure Vulkan and Ferrus Manus would have developed a rapport over craftsmanship, but probably would have been at odds concerning Vulkan's empathy and Ferrus Manus' utter lack of it.

With regards to Dorn and Perturabo's siegecraft: siegecraft is by definition offensive, defending against a siege is something different. Both Dorn and Perturabo were excellent at both, due to Dorn's meticulous planning and Perturabo's natural genius at it. (Perturabo, honestly, was probably better at both laying sieges and defending against them.) The reason Dorn's Fists were chosen to defend the walls of the Imperial Palace had nothing to do with skill, but because of the strength of the Fists' character. No other Legion could be trusted like the Fists to do their duty even when they're the last line of defense, they'd want to make a heroic breakout attempt or a glorious last stand or something. The other Legions could not be counted on to swallow their pride, man the wall guns and let the Blood Angels and White Scars get the glory.

There may seem like redundancy built into the Primarchs, connections, similarities or doctrine agreements, but if you think there is a "match and point" line or foil for every one, this is seemingly not the case.

The 18 make up a much larger personality and trait pool, and the nuances and intricacies really become farther apart when one looks very closely, recently rather, as more information appears in new HH books, fleshed out by the authors.

I think the OP would be better looking at the "relationships" between the Primarchs, as each 1 has 17 different opinions and experiences with his brothers, and all see their place differently. GW has focused on some of the most natural relationships, some of the most volatile and toxic, some of the greatest rivals, but there are PLENTY left to be explored.

For what was intended to be a very light and fun thread there certainly seems to be a whole lot of serious being thrown around. T'was just an idea to play around with and see how people view the legions and their primarchs not some be all and end all delve into every last immaculate detail pertaining to how intricate and awesome 40K fluff is. Lets lighten up and just have fun with the idea please?

For what was intended to be a very light and fun thread there certainly seems to be a whole lot of serious being thrown around. T'was just an idea to play around with and see how people view the legions and their primarchs not some be all and end all delve into every last immaculate detail pertaining to how intricate and awesome 40K fluff is. Lets lighten up and just have fun with the idea please?

Sadly I'm noticing this a lot with light hearted threds....

I like the idea that the primarchs and their chapters having similar traits, maybe entering "games" to see who is the best bike rider etc...

Wasn't this stressed during the Index Astartes era- some primarchs played similar roles in the Crusade, and Horus deliberately fostered competitive rivalry between them?

The example at the time was Blood Angels and World Eaters.

actually in one of the Horus heresy books ferrus mentions that he made Vulkan an amazing pistol to celebrate a certain event, however he returned it, ferrus remarked that Vulkan didnt feel comfortable with something that wasnt beat with a hammer.

My list is somewhat unconventional and I've left some without pairings if I felt they didn't fit.

Fulgrim - Sanguinius (Perfection in form etc)

Mortarion (I don't think these guys twin very well so I didn't put them together)

Angron

Roboute Guilliman - Lion El'Jonson (Tactics and organisation, lacking in people skills)

Alpharius - Omegon (Perhaps the most obvious twins?)

Corax - Konrad Curze (Unconventional sense of Justice)

Vulkan - Ferrus Manus (Crafting, afinity with fire and the earth)

Lorgar - Magnus the Red (The search for knowledge)

Rogal Dorn - Perturabo (What others have said before)

Horus – The Emperor (The Father/Son dynamic)

Leman Russ - Jaghatai Khan (Barbarians, tribal legions)

Archived