Re-basing

As I'm working on (gradually) building a Grey Knights force, I'd like to take the opportunity to base the minis nicely, and have set upon the idea of using Micro Art Studios' gorgeous scenic bases for them. Thing is, I need to use my GK models in an apoc game on Saturday, and simply don't have the funds to purchase enough bases ($70 worth) before then. I'm comfortable using poster tack to hold down the infantry models, but the Stormraven gives me pause, as I don't know how well that will hold a heavy model with that little surface area.

So, how does one base models, keeping in mind that they will need to be re-based once I can purchase the MAS bases? I assume poster tack is the best for the small models, but what about that Stormraven?

Superglue works wonders: easy to snap from the base and is quite strong.

However, be careful with clear plastic, as it might turn it white. Rubbing alcohol allegedly should bring it back to normal...I say you test it before ^_^

I would use pins. Time consuming, yes, but otherwise it's a gamble, especially with the SR. In my experience with resin bases the models rarely stand flat on them anyway so the extra help of the pin really helps down the line. You can get the pins ready and blue-tac them into drilled holes in normal bases for the time being. You'll be able to see the pins in the clear plastic but A) nobody will look that closely and B ) I wouldn't trust the bond otherwise.

I don't follow what you mean with using poster tack to hold the pins. I understand pinning well enough, but the poster tack I have doesn't have an incredibly strong bond (or else I'd be using it already on the Stormraven). How should I utilize it to hold the pins in?

Be aware that rubbing alcohol WILL permanently fog any clear plastic parts, so be careful if using it to remove superglue.

Just use a couple of small dots of superglue (pinhead sized) or plastic glue (DO NOT SLATHER THE SURFACES IN IT). A couple of spots is easier to break the bond on that total coverage.

I don't follow what you mean with using poster tack to hold the pins. I understand pinning well enough, but the poster tack I have doesn't have an incredibly strong bond (or else I'd be using it already on the Stormraven). How should I utilize it to hold the pins in?

Put pins in the feet as normal, drill holes in the normal bases, then use poster putty on the feet/pins to hold them temporarily to the standard base. When you get your resin bases, drill holes in them, remove the putty glue, and done. Basically do your pinning on the front end, and use the poster tack as your adhesive in the meantime.

Be aware that rubbing alcohol WILL permanently fog any clear plastic parts, so be careful if using it to remove superglue.

Just use a couple of small dots of superglue (pinhead sized) or plastic glue (DO NOT SLATHER THE SURFACES IN IT). A couple of spots is easier to break the bond on that total coverage.

A watered down coat of Future floor wax (or Pledge Premium with Future Shine) can often restore fogged clear plastics.

Archived