Help Shading Yellow?

Hi there, I'm in the process of starting a new army of big yella fella true scale imperial fists and I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of help shading yellow? I know that theres a lot of people asking for help with yellow but I'm trying to do something a little different, let me explain . . . .

I've decided on a base coat of Sunburst Yellow and I'm getting a nice smooth base coat with that but the traditional methods of shading it using gryphonne sepia shade it with an orangy brown which to me looks out of place against the yellow. :)

Instead of using a brown I tried lining in using Badab black which is too strong against the yellow but I'm still experimenting with watering it down and trying different colours, like charadon granite.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried shading yellow with greys or greens and what the results were like?

Can any of you colour theory boffins out there shed some light on this for me please?

Purple works. Greys will look muddy and greens will just tint it green. If you're after a particular lighting effect you might want this.

This said, when doing washes on light colours, generally it's a better idea to direct them (ie glaze them just into the recesses) rather than splosh them over the whole thing. This stops dirtying the colour as you describe.

My IF's are basically Golden Yellow (airbrushed) washed sepia, dark lined with VMC leather brown, then retouched with golden yellow and highlighted up by adding VMC Ivory to the yellow. The centres of areas are then glazed with very thin iyanden darksun.

Thanks for the tips Winterdyne. I've just checked out your IF on CMON and I have to say I'm really impressed. I've a few more test minis to tinker with before I build my big yella fellas, I'll try the purple. When I said I'd washed the mini's I'd really been using the wash for lining in and trying not to stain the yellow armour.

The VMC paints you mention, is that the Vallejo paints? I have a supplier locally and I've been meaning to try them out but been sticking mainly to GW paints til now. How do they compare to the GW paints?

I want to get the battle worn look that a lot of painters are doing at the moment with the chips and scrapes in the armour. What colours did you use for the chips on Lysanders armour? I take it the highlight is the ivory highlight but what about the dark colour? Dark flesh?

I know I'm chancing my arm pushing for tips here but how did you make your on decals on the assault sergeant? they look really cool.

The decals are printed on clear waterslide decal paper with an inkjet printer. They're designed at 600 dpi, so it's a pretty big image file. I'm tweaking the sheet to have a number of variant markings for each squad, for a whole battle company.

There's a tutorial on my blog for the application of decals.

Chips on lysander... umm... Probably a mix of yellow (golden yellow) and VMC Ivory with VMC Leather brown overlines. When doing chips, it's easier to put the highlight down first, before mostly covering that with a dark splodge for the chip. If you want you can then put a dot of boltgun in there to represent exposed metal.

VMC = Vallejo Model Color. Some are better than GW, some worse - they mix easily so I just use whatever's closest to the colour I have in mind.

The reason that purple works well with yellow is because it is a near perfect complimentary color to yellow. Mix yellow into purple, and you will get a very nice, saturated brown.

This is how I do my eldar, purple and yellow are the primary colors, and I shade the yellow by adding that same purple into the yellow to get the dark shaded values for the yellow.

FYI: I work in printing and color-correct print files all day long, so color is a second nature to me.

Archived