White primer grit

Hey everyone,

I've got a can of the GW white spray 'primer'. Every time I've used it, it's come out a bit gritty. I've heard that this is normal, but I've also heard something about using warm water to avoid this. Can anyone explain how this is done, or other methods to get it smooth?

I'm going to be honest, the best thing to do with GW primer is to sell it and hopefully for more than what you payed for it. It's a pretty well-confirmed phenomena that GW's white paint practically comes out like they mix it with salt. Try other (vastly less expensive) brands like Army Painter, Krylon, or the like.

Army painter white primer works well. So does Vallejo primer, which you can brush or airbrush.

As for the "hot can" techinque: fill up a bucket or similar with HOT water (as hot as the tap goes), submerge the can for 30 secs-1 min, shake hard for 10 secs, repeat a couple times.

That way, the paint will not stay at the bottom and the propellet will mix decently.

When (not if) you can goes cold from use, you can also do this operation to get it working properly again.

Hope it helps!

A bucket will fit some 5-10 liters, and you can use it several times.

If you leave the tap running, you'll waste far more than that...just like when you shave!

If you don't take care of your enviroment, the Emperor will make your fangs fall off :P

I'm going to be honest, the best thing to do with GW primer is to sell it and hopefully for more than what you payed for it. It's a pretty well-confirmed phenomena that GW's white paint practically comes out like they mix it with salt. Try other (vastly less expensive) brands like Army Painter, Krylon, or the like.

Sure, I find this out after I buy a can of GW white... :(

What is the distance that you are spraying from? The gritty-ness can be a result of spraying to far away from your subject, as the paint mist travels through the air it starts to dry before it comes in contact w/ the subject. Try the hot water method, and try spraying a bit closer as well.

Ashton

the recommended 8 inches give or take.

Thats what she said. sry, been listening to the office while I paint.

I think its worth mentioning that some people have boilers producing scalding water and its never a good idea to put a pressurized container in very hot water.

I had the same issues myself until i learned the hot water trick, just make sure water isn't too hot and not to soak it too long, also you need to shake the can like your life depends on it.

Oh, and as soon as the can is empty never ever replace it, and get army painter primer. way better

With Krylon (or other brands I suppose), do you recommend just a flat paint or a primer?

If you need to spray to actually act as a primer, you need to get Primer, not Flat Paint. That's why they call it a Primer (it has a natural "tooth" that allows paint to more readily adhere to it).

DV8

Krylon ultra flat. you can usually find it with their camouflage system. This is the best spraypaint for priming you can get and it costs less than 4$ a can. It has the "tooth" that DV8 mentioned and is very forgiving if you use a bit too much.

Archived