"Force" bubbles

So I want to Create a "Force" bubble. By this I mean the impact of a thunder hammer and the force of a Rozarius or Crux deflecting blows. I'm thinking along the lines of clear plastic that I can mould or shape but thats clear enough to show that its a field or energy source doing it. I've done a search but nothing along these lines has come up (Search-Fu is weak). Just wondering if anyone else has tried this sort of thing before and how you went about it.

What size 'domes' are you after?

I've done some vacforming of clear acetate domes over the years (needs a vacformer though, so beyond most gamers).

Otherwise, there are a variety of clear plastic domes/spheres available around christmas (for xmas decorations).

40mm hemispheres should be relatively common. I'm sure I've seen their like in craft-shops.

Gamers should at least make an attempt to think outside the (GW) box every now and then. Craft-shops are playgrounds.

Depending on how patient you feel on being, you could possibly use a clear resin to get the effect that you were after. What you would need to do is to find something with the required surface shape on the inside of the object, cover the surface with an oil like substance really thin (something like petroleum jelly) then mix up some clear casting resin-not too much, just enough to give off a surface of the shape. then you need to be constantly be spinning around the piece so that the resin liquid spreads out over the surface leaving a thinnish film over the rounded surface. To attach you would have to make a clear cast of something long(or short) enough to attach it to a point on the model, and glue it to outer piece with PVA glue, because as we all know PVA dries clear.

The coolest part with this idea is that if you get really detailed into it, you can add food colouring or something to it to give some colour yet still leave it clear.

-kizzap

I've very recently started looking at molding & casting and saw some stuff at the local supply store about making resin jewellery. Make a one or two part mold of what you want, then use a clear resin with pigment very loosely mixed in to create a marbling effect.

http://www.youtube.com/BarnesProducts#p/a/u/1/6o9v6gamFXM

Good luck, it sounds like an interesting challenge with lots of potential!

ive done this before to pepresent a force field on a diarama .

get some thin clear plastic cut into a circle and find a metle/stone/wood ball and u can use a heat gun/strong hair dryer {mind ur fingers with the heat gun !} and work it over the ball as it softens . you could get the same effect useing a ovens grill aswell.

Every time I dilute PVA glue in my palette I remove small transparent bubbles of it when it dries, so maybe that's the way to go. Just find yourself a bowl of right shape and cover the inside with it. If it's smooth enough, the dried glue should come off with no effort. The bottom surface will be as smooth as the bowl itself and transparent.

Archived