Robes

So i want to put my GK purifiers in robes, i figure it would fit the fluff.

what would be the best way to do it? i was wondering if i could even get some real cloth and give them real robes, any thoughts?

what would be the best way to do it? i was wondering if i could even get some real cloth and give them real robes, any thoughts?

Aside from using Black Templar or Dark Angel torsos with robes, sculpting them out of green stuff is probably the easiest. Real cloth would be terribly out of scale, and would look like they were wearing macrame garmets. You could try using tissue for the robes. Scale modelers use tissue to add things like tarps and cloth covers to cargo trucks by painting on watered down white glue to get it to hold the desired shape, but I don't think it is very durable.

Aside from using Black Templar or Dark Angel torsos with robes, sculpting them out of green stuff is probably the easiest. Real cloth would be terribly out of scale, and would look like they were wearing macrame garmets.

Back in the lengthy darkness of my first days in the hobby, I tried real cloth. Once. It shall not be spoken of again. :D

Brilliant sculptors on the Internet work miracles with greenstuff every day. For the rest of us, there's Dark Angel bodies.

If you are going to give it a go at green stuff it is rather easy with practice. They aren't exactly robes, but I put kilts on my IG troops;

IMG_4601.JPG

The really cool part though is once you paint them, they look really great.

Basically took my green stuff, mixed it up, then on a piece of plate glass that I picked up from the hardware store, I rolled it out very thin. Now here is where a little patience comes in, after you have rolled it out, I mean like paper thin, you let it sit for about 15 minutes, this firms it up a bit and makes making the folds a bit easier. At this point, using a fresh blade, simply cut out a triangle shape, place it on your marine and start working the folds. It is really just a matter of practice.

Ashton

Aside from using Black Templar or Dark Angel torsos with robes, sculpting them out of green stuff is probably the easiest. Real cloth would be terribly out of scale, and would look like they were wearing macrame garmets. You could try using tissue for the robes. Scale modelers use tissue to add things like tarps and cloth covers to cargo trucks by painting on watered down white glue to get it to hold the desired shape, but I don't think it is very durable.

ok i can see that but what about swapping say cheap silk for tissue, that'd still get stiff with the glue.

I think i'll probably have a go at green stuffing though, that was good advice about the glass plate etc

oh, and what color? maybe white for purifiers but that is hard to shade. Crowe's is red on the GK website though

Archived