On the road to heresy

Hello folks

The mysterious title requires some explanation:

I am working on a (terribly heretical!!) project. The thought is that the Blood Ravens 5th company did something terrible, something so unacceptable that it was deleted from all records and never spoken of, only reflected in the 5th company bearing marks of penence (for reasons unknown/secret).

Now, the answer is, ofcourse: Chaos.

Thus an idea refused to leave my head and I have slowly begun to create a heretical force of ravens, using units descriped in the link.

NOW for the actual point of this topic:

I want to bring chaos space marines. These guys will obviously not look like normal chaos space marines, since their equipment will be younger, they won't have the chaos stars everywhere etc. - they're renegades, not chaos space marines.

The question is, how do I make them look like this?

I have made 3 models thus far:

-with chainsword and bolt pistol, clearly showing the deep cuts I have made to his chest eagle

-with a closed fist (grenade arm) with small wings of an aquila sticking up (he is crushing it)

-with a closed fist holding out a chaos sorcery book in front of himself

Now, I don't know if this is enough? I want to make it clear that these guys are NOT good servants of the Emperor, but at same time show that they have turned only recently. Thus far I have used the tactical squad box to assemble them (with some chaos bits).

I am looking for more-or-less easy conversions myself, but feel free to debate how paint, greenstuff etc. is usefull aswell!

Thoughts?

well obviously painting chaos marks on their armour might be the first step they'll take after finally getting save into the warp, but they'll have both a tough time hiding for the imperium as well as convincing the chaotic hordes that they too believe in chaos

Grit. The Space Marines are supported by various IG and PDF units as well as AdMech that a renegade declaring independence would instantly lose without some connections. Making their armor look weathered and worn is a good way to show they've been through a pretty long war without much resupply or maintenance... Or supporting fire for that matter.

Ad-hoc repair jobs on armour. Poorly bolted on extra plates. Rust. Improvised weapons. Scratched and dinged armour.

For my Enclave, instead of land speeders, they have a different vehicle that fills the same role (toy helicopters) they also have just a ridiculous ammount of stowage on all their razorbacks, on most of the troops, etc. their two land raiders are basically done up to be symbols of hope; one is going to be all extravagant and look like it hasnt ever been touched by war, the other is going to look like it was summoned up from hell (legion of the damned style)

generally the more realistic and dire you can make things look, the better it works for a renegade.

Put as much equipment as possible on their vehicles. Make their armor look old and weathered, and dump even more equipment on it. Use a combination of any marine packs you can find, such as the BT and DA upgrade packs, the tac squad kit, and the Chaos Marine box.

You could also paint, or model, crosses across their Imperial symbols, e.g. their Aquila on their chest, so show that they no longer want to be associated with the Imperium. And perhaps some handpainted chaos symbols, or some engraved into their pauldrons as opposed to "sculpted on" like normal Chaos Marines.

And I completely agree with the worn look. Dirty marines naturally make for more sinister looking marines.

And perhaps do something with the bare heads. Look for uglier, more sidious ones. Paint them differently, give them, say, crazy eyes and/or facial tattoos (although, facial tattoos sometimes look weird if not done right). Maybe like a 8-pointed star tattoo around an eye.

And perhaps some mutants in the beginning stages of corruption, if you want to show that they are a little further along on their corruption. If you want to avoid them being *too chaosy* as they are still just "renegade" then you could skip this.

Hope it helps!

Archived