Airbrush help

Good day everyone,

I am looking for a paint to use for my airbrush. I can occasionally get the GW paints to work right, but they are too expensive - I guess its me, I am inefficient with them. I recently tried a cheap brand - Folk Art - and it just can't get it thin enough to flow right but thick enough to actually paint with.

Can anyone recommend a brand that's cheaper than GW/PP/Vallejo paints, but with fine enough particles to not jam an airbrush?

Most of the Tamiya paints are DESIGNED for airbrush use.

You will have to use a proper airbrush thinner for them though (water doesn't work properly).

They're half the price of GW paints where I am, and have a comparable range (and more 'realistic' combat colours).

I mix GW-colours 50/50 with water or window cleaner. sometimes even more then 50/50 depending on how easy you want it to flow and/or details and coverage you want etc.

Just check if you get other brands that they are water based. It's a hell and two to get it cleaned OK if you don't =)

I primed 30 minis with a diluted graveyard earth on white primer and still got enough to do at least twice more and that pot was around half when I started mixing it.

So I say try with the GWs again. They are good if you thin them and do nice strokes and layers. If you go ontop of black you will have to put on more layers but. I use white as I want the bright colors and then it works really well. Only tip I can give you as I havn't tried any other colours except Vallejo Air Colours and they do run out fast as they are already diluted. But one can always mix them up some more but.

Most of the Tamiya paints are DESIGNED for airbrush use.

You will have to use a proper airbrush thinner for them though (water doesn't work properly).

They're half the price of GW paints where I am, and have a comparable range (and more 'realistic' combat colours).

Tamyia paints are very thin though, I have found more often than not I get frustrated using them.

Walmart and Micheal's both carry inexpensive craft paints, also if there is a "Hobby Lobby" near you, they have good prices.

Ashton

One thing you may actually be having issues with is the nozzle size.

A lot of the cheap kits come with a .25mm nozzle which clogs and suffers from tip-dry blockage much more easily than a .3mm or larger.

I sometimes have issues even with Tamiya paints, but especially with browns. A little flow improver will help, as will avoiding alcohol or other fast-evaporation mediums when you can.

I use .25 AB and I agree that sometimes the clogging is a bit fast...any suggestion for a new one winterdyne? Under 100 that would be...

As for paints, vallejo air model are GREAT! Model is ok, game has too thick a grain.

I would suggest an iwata hp-cs... .35mm nozzle and it's a very high quality, reliable AB for $120... just my 2 cents. But I've heard a lot of good stuff about the harder and steenbecks.

I use the cheap "Anita's Acrylic" brand paint from hobby lobby. Mix up a 50/50 windex and water mix then mix that 50/50 with the paint. Once and a while, during your painting session, run some undilluted windex through your brush to give it a quick spot cleaning. Try this mix, I promise you will like it. I have found that greens clog easier than other colors though, spot clean your brush more often while using troublesome colors.

Archived