Ezekiel

Foxbat

What I've browsed DA lists, it seems there is not much love for Ezekiel. How come? I feel basic Librarian is bit meh, only Ld9 the chances of stopping enemy powers with the Hood are bit limited even with the unlimited range. Ezekiel's Hood might be funny against for example Grey Knights, likely able to seriously disturb their 'rank & file' psychic powers by merely existing. Mind Worm seems also like potentially useful, though probably scarier on paper rather than on the field. Of course, Ezzy is not exactly a huge close combat monster for his points.

What I've browsed DA lists, it seems there is not much love for Ezekiel. How come? I feel basic Librarian is bit meh, only Ld9 the chances of stopping enemy powers with the Hood are bit limited even with the unlimited range. Ezekiel's Hood might be funny against for example Grey Knights, likely able to seriously disturb their 'rank & file' psychic powers by merely existing. Mind Worm seems also like potentially useful, though probably scarier on paper rather than on the field. Of course, Ezzy is not exactly a huge close combat monster for his points.

It is not an issue whether Zeke is any good, he has the same basic stats as most all other SM Libbies. That (limited stats) and the fact that DA libbie powers are pretty anemic (we only have three) simply make him a non issue.

His upside right now is the Ld10 table wide Psychic Hood, unfortunately is most potent power Mind Worm only has about a 17% chance of happening, and Hellfire is not much better (sometimes worse) than a HB.

Zeke's wargear is also the most random you'll ever find. He has stuff to make his guys around him stay put, and some CC goodness but he is vulnerable to ID, and has the kill me now defensive power. Its sad but Force Barrier has killed my librarians every time I've used it. B) Yes, that is over 50 dead librarians......

... agree with the above. But the worst sin... Mindworm, a psychic shooting power that counts as a heavy weapon. It really cuts down his movement / assault options. It that item were fixed, he'd be heaps better :).

I have to say that my reaction for DA psychic powers was huge big 'MEH', especially when compared to over-the-top powers Space Wolves etc. have these days. Though, Force Barrier is probably actually quite useful. Hellfire is weird, seemingly very unreliable, almost Orky power.

But lets say that despite all common sense and decency, I would want to use Ezekiel any way. What's the best way? Had some ideas:

-Load him with Veteran assault squad in a Rhino, drive forward, ???, profit. Soak up low-AP wounds with Force Barrier and use template and hope for the best.

-or alternatively, drop him off and try to Mind Worm some important model and hope to avoid/Force Barrier instant killing stuff.

Well, the DA minor psychic powers straight out of the 3rd edition minor power table were MEH against our 4th edition counter parts let alone the 5th edition ones.

Well, FB only prevents ONE wound, and inevitably the Librarian takes the hit, and dies, and since Zeke is no better than a common librarian from any other chapter. Okay, a ld10 anywhere on the table hood but that is old school.

Zek is better for holding the line than getting into your opponents face, and doing some smack down.

Mind worm being a Heavy precludes deep-striking with a drop pod, and using it on the same turn. Its a shooting attack so it is really limited in that regard, and in 5th edition with Mech being so prevalent it really isn't likely to happen now. I've scene it actually used once in 4 years just because it is so situational, and hard to use. I blame the Necron player for letting it happen.

FYI, I haven't used a DA libi in several years. Guess I might have to now that I can't use a Grey Knights to protect my boys in green, black, and ash white anymore :)

It is not an issue whether Zeke is any good, he has the same basic stats as most all other SM Libbies.

Actually his stats are better (because the DA libby stats are better), that said, he is not all that good. He grants fearless to units within 12", well the best DA units are already fearless, so unless you are playing Greenwing you are paying for an ability that amounts to nothing. The DA Psychic powers are terrible. Force Barrier is a good one off save, but most things that you will want to use it against with instant kill Zeke. Hellfire averages out as a slightly better heavy flamer (S 5 Ap 3.5) which is potentially awesome (S 10 ap 1) or potentially useless if you roll snake eyes. Mind Worm is one of the worst Psychic powers in the entire game. First as mentioned above it is a heavy weapon (which there are other HW psychic attacks but those models can take bikes, or termi armor to get relentless), second it is made worse by its 18" (I believe) range, I could see it being a heavy weapon if it had say 24" or Greater range, but when you need to move to 18" of something and sit there for a turn, it just does not work. Lastly it requires failing a LD test for the opponent to die...So it works great against, things like, ummm..... gaunts, I mean even a LD 7 ork has a 58% chance of passing that test. The things you want to use it against (independent Characters, squad sargents etc..) are only failing between 8-17% of the time. If your opponent has psychic defense, then it is even worse.

Then GW in its infinte wisdom figures things like a master crafted bolt pistol into his cost, and the uselessness reaches new heights.

My biggset beef with zeke other then the crappy powers is that he is so freakin generic now, annoying not to be able to teleport him in with termies.

A regular libby in termie armor can take a combi-melta aswell. A bs5 combi-melta is a hell of a lot more useful then a mastercrafted boltpistol..

I actually read a battle rep once where Eldrad got eaten by mind worm... couldnt belive it ;)

Archived