Commission painting

So in my Warhammer 40k gaming lifetime I have assembled and painted 8 armies. I think I am done with the painting aspect of this hobby.

I realize that I am at the point in the hobby that I am getting married, I am busy with work, I am busy with another much more demanding hobby, and that it might be the time to commission up the painting of an army. My painting of the past decade has improved that I have no problem putting up my models on the table with how they look, it is just that I don't have the time anymore to put the time into them as much as I would like. For example the past two week, I have only been able to get detail work done on two Grey Hunters, which just doesn't cut it for finishing up a small force that it feels like I have been working on forever.

Now I have seen full commissioned armies and I have seen some people almost look at them as if they were a steaming pile of dog crap, JUST because the owner didn't paint them. These folks make me wonder if they are hobby purists, envious they do not have the funds, envious that their army is not as well painted, or all of the above. I personally enjoy the army whoever painted it and with the exception of just one time, I have seen every customer of painting commissions give proper credit where credit was due.

My commission would be as follows:

1. Assembly and conversions would be done by me (I still very much enjoy this part of the hobby).

2. Painting to be done via commission.

3. Placard of the commission painter to be displayed with army at tournaments (car/truck nut and this is how it is done at carshows).

Is this the proper etiquette for commissioned armies? Obviously I would never enter them for painting scores if a tournament included them and it seems that if credit for the painting is given, then you are pretty much covering all bases.

Comments/thoughts?

I would say that would be a addiquite "due" given.

Not saying this is done everywhere (or maybe just my luck) But I did a commisson work for a friend of mine with his IG. I painted scores of metal Cadians (10 full squads), and Mordians (12 squads), only to have heard him saying at a store game on how he boasted about how he had use "this" and "that" style in his paint job. I was dis-honored by that.

But what you plan to do is the honorable way to let others know, "hey these are my toys, I made them in this pose.. but my painter did the coloring"

Don't really need to show a plaque. Simply saying who painted it is enough. Obviously having your army done on commission may exclude you from 'best painted' competitions at tourneys.

For my part, getting paid to do the army is where the deal ends, really.

You may find that some commission folks don't like taking on assembled models - it does make the job a lot harder in some circumstances - how much you assemble (ie subassemblies) is something you need to discuss with the commission people you're dealing with, and can vary depending on the individual model.

Aye, generally most commission painters work on the "honor" system, and unless you knew them locally, couldn't really care less if you won best appearance at some local tournament. Now keep in mind that should an army be above the level of quality that you have been known to achieve, other gamers who know you regularly might pipe up and say "hey wait a minute", which is really just the universe's way of keeping things in check.

About the only time I'd care is if someone won a Golden Demon with it, at which point I'd pipe up and say "hey wait a minute".

DV8

Now I have seen full commissioned armies and I have seen some people almost look at them as if they were a steaming pile of dog crap, JUST because the owner didn't paint them. These folks make me wonder if they are hobby purists, envious they do not have the funds, envious that their army is not as well painted, or all of the above. I personally enjoy the army whoever painted it and with the exception of just one time, I have seen every customer of painting commissions give proper credit where credit was due.

It's funny because I pay a mechanic to work on my car, and Dad gets in an electrician to wire new lights, solar panels onto our home, yet clearly, both of these things are ours. I don't get the upset over dudes getting someone else to paint their minis.

Even if Bob only bought the mini and had them assembled and painted by someone elses, they are still Bob's minis.

If I could afford to buy a new house, I'd not be doing a single thing except paying for the house and making aesthetic choices. Yet it is my house, yes?

I think people just get caught up in "what they think is right" which is fine, and then project that onto others, which can be hurtful. They're just being opinionated. But we all do it in certain areas. People dislike bandwagoners or count asers or cheese listers, etc. They don't think that thing is right, and then make the person doing it feel bad for being okay with/or liking doing it that way.

*shrugs*

We are all somewhat broken people :huh:

To be honest, I don't know that many players that a fully comissioned army... and the ones I know, have no problem acknowledging thet did so.

In my area, if you have X squad comissioned and someone praises it, first thing you hear is "they're cool... such great models, that why I got them comissioned, wanted a good quality I'm not able/feeling like putting in the time".

And if people have problems... its usually because they don't have the funds (envy).

However, I can understand that someone deems an army "better" if he builds it and paints it than if someone just puts down the cash and gets it in the post in 2 months time...regardless of the quality.

If I could afford an army by winterdyne or DV8 (two regular posters, but I know there are other comissioners around) I'd be delighted with the quality...but if I someday finish my double-wing, it'll feel ... more authentic?

Bottom line: your models, your money and as long as you don't claim credit for something you didn't do, ;) whomever complains.

I think the limit on what I would consider acceptable is if the commissioned paintjob was winning awards and such, under the army owners name. I don't think it is fair for someone to accept awards and credit for the work they didn't do.

-kizzap

Oddly enough, you sometimes see this among folks who restore/customize/etc motorcycles. Some people sneer, or deride anyone who doesn't do things the way they do. But the lines seem to be much more blurred in bikes. Mayhaps because there's a lot more people in that world who just can't do painting or welding or engine work.

I'm doing all the work on both my bike and my army myself, if for no other reason than I couldn't afford to hire anyone. But I certainly don't begrudge you for hiring an expert army painter any more than an expert engine rebuilder.

If you're looking for commission work, I'd like to put a referal in here for Sioka. He's doing work for me currently and I can only applaud his excellent communications, work-rate and the standard of work is very, very impressive. Worth every penny and I'd recommend him to anyone.

You can Sig that if you want Sioka! -_-

Archived