New Belial WIP

Very nice painting...white is a hard path to tread.

The model...Im sorry but I didnt like the FW when it came out, so...I think it has to do with the head and the pose.

Please do post a pic when you finish the painting!

Hi Tanhausen,

You are doing some good work with your resin bases for your RW, I agree with you on the height of the rocks, they need to be a bit lower.

Back OT; I'm glad we can't all agree on what looks good, I appreciate others input in that regard.

What is it you find hard about white, is it highlighting, shading or something else?

I welcome C&C so that this version of Belial can be the best I can make it.

Lance

Damn, only saw this thread after you started painting.

I would have suggested snipping the top spikey bit off the Iron halo and mounting your DA icon onto the halo in it's place. That way the halo doesn't block the site line to the DA Icon and any WYSIWYG Nazi can be told it's not an Iron Halo it's DA Iconography. If you do run an Iron Halo then you can say it's a DA Iron Halo variant.

Anyway, nice conversion and good luck with the rest of it.

Damn, only saw this thread after you started painting.

I would have suggested snipping the top spikey bit off the Iron halo and mounting your DA icon onto the halo in it's place. That way the halo doesn't block the site line to the DA Icon and any WYSIWYG Nazi can be told it's not an Iron Halo it's DA Iconography. If you do run an Iron Halo then you can say it's a DA Iron Halo variant.

Anyway, nice conversion and good luck with the rest of it.

Dude, What a great idea, nothing is too late...

I have a few issues with the area behind the halo where the original model (Lugft, sp?) had his banner mounted. I have no intention of having any personal banner, there is a bit of a raised area that I'm not sure what else to do with, that is why the DA icon is there at all :) I s'pose I could just chop the halo off but I kind of like it.

Here are a couple of updated photos, any other suggestions, I'm a little hesitant to start carving until the concept is sound.

Washes are done, lighter colours (face and aquilas etc), scrolling, touchups and highlights to go...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5141/5660294469_d15a242040_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5030/5660293515_493b8fa798_b.jpg

C&C needed

Lance

Here he is, 99% finished.

Front,

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5689231657_744fd08c86_z.jpg]

Side,

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5689232099_ec7e32ca27_z.jpg

Other side ^_^

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5689804088_60f3e340cd_z.jpg

Back, enjoy.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/5689805720_49fd4ec85f_z.jpg

Thanks for motivating me to finish the bad boy this year :D

L

Very nice. I like the way you've managed to give the fabric a sense of weight. How did you do that? The white is crisp and clear, which is nice, although it might also be good to have a few chips and scrapes in there too.

Thanks for the comments,

B-Sgt Bohemond; We so do need an iron halo and the option to take SS and Sword of Silence to reinforce our knightly theme in our next dex, I'd really like to see GW supply some right handed swords and left handed Storm bolters too, IMO it makes the model look like they are a swordsman first and a shooter second. Even if they will be the first model removed as casualties :D .

Gillyfish; cheers for the constructive comments, I am always in two minds about when to stop adding detail, I add battle damage to all my vehicles but so far I have kept my infantry etc 'clean'.

I may try a bit of battle damage out on one of my other models and see if I can pull it off without them looking messy. Of course that may mean I'll have to spend more time painting all my DW squads to keep them similar so we'll see...

The 'weight' on the robes was achieved with tons of layers working dark to light then back a bit, that simple really.

My recipe is;

Undercoat white,

Base coat Beached bone or that tan foundation(forget the name),

Wash with Brown ink,

Dry brush Bleached bone trying to create texture,

Chestnut wash all except deepest areas,

Another dry brush Bleached bone still trying to get texture,

Flesh wash whole thing,

I have a 1/2 pot of skull white with one drop of hawk turquoise and one drop of fortress grey I use for highlights keeping it thin,

Another layer of watered down Bleached bone this time painted carefully to blend the shading where required,

Drybrush last highlights using my mix.

Aaaaaaand done ;)

I'm reasonable happy with the job, especially considering this is my most converted model ever. I mostly only do minor changes.

Wow when you photograph models and blow them up all the rough bits do stand out, I may need to paint in better light next time.

I might add some red writing, DW symbols or scroll work to areas of his armour like left shin, both forearms or wrists, a bit on the shield and maybe some above his head or on the bum plate thingy. I want to avoid him getting too busy though so am not too sure how much or little.

I also am concidering some marbling on the sword but aren't too flash at that sort of thing so does anyone have a tutorial?

C&C please.

Lance

Excellent Stobz. I echo all the praise above plus I love the lion-style shoulderpads. Great to see pure white DW again in this era of bone white. His eyes look a little spooky – that isn't a criticism, just an observation.

The kitbashing (if you could call sawing FW models in half :D ) has worked a treat and you've ended up with the best two halves.

Cheers

I

Cheers Isiah,

Ever since the story Deathwing came out I've like the ghostly, walking dead theme for our paint job. The bone tan that came out later by the GW artists never quite sat right with me.

I'm just so glad FW finally created enough parts to really bash a DW character together, I certainly couldn't create any of those parts :P.

I couldn't get pupils to sit central in his eyes due to the shape of the casting, I just used Mithril silver to cover the whole eye and washed with green ink, that is why it is spooky in photos, the light reflects more than on the tabletop.

Also his head is only bluetac'd in, I might paint up a helmeted version too. Just to keep his noggin safe in a vacuum :woot:

Lance

Props to you Stobz!

Thats probably the best version of Belial I've seen! Superb and inspiring stuff.

That's a big statement, :D I'm sure there are better versions out there, but many thanks for the praise.

I might pose him 100% finished with his command squad in a week or so if anyone's keen to look, I'm away from the interwebz on a work task so be patient.

Lance

B/C Stacius, Ha Ha, I have one moment of kitbash inspiration and youv'e turned me into a professional.

Thanks for the props, send FW your money and make your own, only the GS was any real challenge, it's the first time I've tried to 'sculpt' anything.

I am just glad I didn't stuff it up.

Lance

Awesome work, Stobz, that is a great piece for Belial. The "kit-bash" looks great, you used perfect parts for that model. I do agree with shabbadoo that the blue portions would be more representative as green or red or even a black, but the blue also sets him apart from his fellows. I really like the sword, but I think it could stand to be bigger... B)

Why was he only 99% finished? He's awesome enough as it is. In fact, were he to be any more awesome, my brain would melt. :)

Yes, 1% of completeness would crash B&C.

Love it.

Archived