Grey Knights vs. Dark Eldar 2000pts

Lord Sirrion

I had my first game with the new Grey Knights today. Played against one of my favorite opponents, a Dark eldar player who loves his webways.

I love how almost everything in the Grey knights book can deepstrike, so I decided to play off of that. We played a 4 objective game, table quarter set up. here's my list.

Mordrak and 5 Ghost knights-3 halberds, 2 swords

Librarian-sword, summoning, sanctuary, shrouding, teleport homer

Venerable dread-multi melta, flamer, warp stabilization

5 GKT-hammer, psycannon, 4 halberds

10 GKSS-2 psycannons, 7 halberds, 1 sword

10 GKSS-2 incinerators, 7 halberds, 1 sword

10 Interceptors-2 hammers, 2 psycannons, 4 halberds, 2 swords

Dread-lascannon, flamer, warp stabilization

His list

Archon-shadow field, djinn blade, some other power weapon, webway

5 Incubi in raider with archon

2 units of 10 wyches with all sorts of weapons, one unit had a tricked out succubus.

2 units of 10 kabalite trueborn in raiders

10 hellions

3 bikes

10 mandrakes

So i won the roll and gave him first turn. He set up the three units in the raiders, everything else was in reserve. I had nothing on the table. WOOT!!

turn 1- He moved his raiders around putting on Kabalite unit on two of the objectives. The archon rode up, dismounted and tossed the webway almost directly in the middle of the table. On my turn, Madrak, the librarian and his boys dropped onto the board near one of the far raiders and warped/stormbolted the dark lance off of it and imobilized it.

turn 2- he got a unit of wyches with the succubus in from reserve and a bike unit and the mandrakes. He ran the succubus out of the webway into some nearby woods where an objective lurked. The bikes turboboosted out of the webway and slashed the termies as he rode over them, but killed no one. The unit of trueborns dismounted the raider, shot then assualted Madrak's squad. Here was his first run in with sanctuary. He killed 4 moving through the dangerous terrain and proceeded to through a 15 minute fit about that one ability has broken 40k. I tried to discuss this rationally, but ended up saying "WAAAAA"! :huh: His Trueborns then bounced right of the termies. My int 6 dudes killed most of the squad, then the sword dudes finished them off.

One my turn everything but my dreads came on the board. YAY for Grandmasters! My interceptors dropped near the bikes. the terminators and the GKSS with the psycannon used the teleport homer to drop in right in front of the mandrakes. My GKSS with the incinerators did a daring drop and landed just a few inches from the wych squad hiding in the woods. Shooting was awesome! The terminators and the GKSS wiped the mandrakes off the board, followed quickly by the wonderful smell of roasting wyches. Incinerators are freakin amazing! the whole wych squad, succubus and all, died in one fell swoop. The interceptors made short work of the bikes. this left my HQ squad with nothing to shoot at! ;(

Turn 3. His other wyches and the hellions joined the game. His wyches immediatly jumped in an empty raider floating near the webway and took off towards the interceptors. the hellions zoomed around to get the charge on my terminator squad. His archon charged the GKSS incinerator squad. Needless to say the Archon and his incubi ended up wiping all but 2 GKs, but not before I killed 3 of the incubi, including the squad leader. Int 6 rocks! The hellions shot/charged my terminators, I lost one terminator but killed 5 in return. he did some amazing rolling and stayed in combat.

My turn, the lasdread showed up. Rolled a 1 on the ven dread. :D The HQ squad maunever around to get he charge on the hellions. My other GKSS shot at the other Trueborn raider and blew it up. My dread quickly reached out and blasted the wyches raider, dropping them right in front of the interceptors. I was going to shoot/charge the wyches, but my shooting evaporated the entire wych squad. in CC my Hq squad wiped the hellions. CC with the archon was funny. He whiffed with all but one of his attacks. My lone halberd GK struck before the incubi and knocked the shadowfield off the archon!!! he died, but left some very exposed dark elfs.

At this point he conceded. He had an almost dead archon, 2 incubi and a trueborn squad all facing a very pissed off Grey knight firing line. Nothing like leaving the enemy 23' away!

I LOVE this new book! i've played GK for about 5 years now and love the direction this book has taken them. My deepstriking army just needs a dreadknight to make it completely awesome. I do think that halberds are the way to go. Screw making things cheap, kill the bad guys before they can strike and then you don't lose anyone!

Seemed pretty one sided the whole match, true the DE player wasn't using an optimal list but it still wasn't a bad one.

With Sanctuary, did you find a drawback or weakness at all? It does seem quite powerful especially as it isn't only the Librarian's squad.

I gotta agree that Halberds for the I6 seem pretty amazing and thanks to Hammerhand, even the basic SS is tough enough to kill a Wraithlord or Trygon eventually.

Archived