A Thousand Legions

The Emperor was only able to make 20 primarchs.

They each led 20 glorious Legions in the Great Crusade.

But imagine if the Emperor had made a thousand primarchs(as in the hypothetical question that Horus was asked in False Gods)

How would history have changed?

What would have come of the Imperium?

What would these thousand primarchs and Legions have been like?

Ideas?

Note: Yes I know this is crazy. ^^

Ideas?

Well, I'd imagine the Imperium during the Crusade would be even bigger, and until the 500-a-side-heresy, I wouldn't rate the survival odds of xeno species very highly.

Assuming the half/half split stayed the same in the Heresy, it'd be an insanely bloody conflict, even moreso than it already is. I bet the battle for Terra would have been extremely tense - imagine the firepower that could be brought to bear with so many legions.

As for what the other 'new' Primarchs would have been like... I'm not sure I could come up with 980 ideas for their personalities, let alone 490 reasons for Evil Primarchs to betray the Emperor. :lol:

In short, the whole thing would have been pretty damn insane.

What would be the point? We know the creation of the Primarchs took a lot of time, effort and resources with the best scientists available to the Emperor. It was a monumental undertaking. The very fact the Emperor didnt re-start the Primarch project after they were taken away means Primarchs are not something that could be mass-produced. If you want a thousand Legions, why not just grow Space Marines by the millions and put a Custodes at the head of each "legion"? Its much less costly, but probably not nearly as powerful as a Legion with a Primarch.

What would be the point? We know the creation of the Primarchs took a lot of time, effort and resources with the best scientists available to the Emperor. It was a monumental undertaking. The very fact the Emperor didnt re-start the Primarch project after they were taken away means Primarchs are not something that could be mass-produced.

This, big time. Making 1,000 Primarchs would have delayed the Great Crusade by centuries. And all of the legions started on Terra, where there was a finite number of potential recruits who could become Space Marines. Having 50 times as many legions would have just meant that they would each be 1/50th of the size.

/2 and 11 still would have gotten lost

The Primarchs were individually crafted works of art, not mass produced widgets you could just run a few more of. From the description of the Emperor's labs, creating the twenty required constant monitoring by scientists and people skilled in psychic arts, specialized machinery that can't be created 'now', and and frequent intervention by the Emperor. People have a tendancy to think of Primarchs and Gene-seed as being simple technological stuff, basically a bit of genetic engineering and other stuff we can pretty much do today, but it required technologies thousands of years past ours and working with warp and souls.

Archived