Ultramarine figures

Cerelius

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

Not sure if i've done the spoiler thingy correct so i'll make my apologies now to those whom have not read Age of Darkness yet, i'll try not to give too much away.

Having just read a few pages of Age of Darkness on page 14 para 4 it states that the Ultramarines 4th company was around 3 thousand, then on page 23 para 2 we hear mention of the 49th company. From this we can get a very ruff idea as to the numbers of Smurfs their are. So lets assume that these are companies and not chapters that are mentioned in the book we have a figure of 3,000 or so for a Battle Company and we have 49 companies this would give us around 147,000 as a starting point and if we still have ten companies per chapter that would give us 1,470,000 which is huge and probably not feasable

lets get this topic going Brothers and Sister.

Till the Lion rises once more.

$#%^& laser tag, whislt the galaxy burns the Smurfs play laser tag, if they had got off their collective arse and headed to Terra the as mentioned earlier Horace would have been defeated with sheer weight of numbers

i thought titles such as companys or chapter was diffrent for each leigion so id imagine dark angels having chapters but ultramarines calling the same size force company but considering most say each leigon was 100 thousand srong an extra 40 odd thousand would make them large but not over the top large

And this was why Horus made sure that the Ultramarines were as far away as can be. The Ultras would have decided the battle for Terra in the Emperors favor and possibly changed even how it finally ended. Hell if the Ultras had been enroute to Istvann 3,the traitors would have been crushed before the heresy even gained steam.

Probally different companies had different amounts of people.

A battle company of Tacticals might of been 3000 but maybe the assaults company had only 2000.

That way you would have 1000 assault troops protecting each flank for the 3000 guns in the middle for a nice even total of 5000.

And here I thought the Ultramarines Legion was organised into Chapters of 1,000 each, since several sources had explained that this had been a known formation from the Crusade times, and since other Horus Heresy novels had shown other Legions operating with Chapters of 1000 (specifically the Dark Angels Legion in one of the stories in one of the earlier anthologies).

what i was getting at in my earlyer reply is diffrent leigions use diffrent titles so if its clear ultramarines companys are about 3000 strong and youve got a 49 company mentioned to give 140 thousand plus marines its likely there more companys than that to make it up to 250 thousand strong and probably not split from chapters which gave a result of over a million .so baisicly working on the above principal of 3000 strong companys 98 companys would give you over 280 thousand marines

And here I thought the Ultramarines Legion was organised into Chapters of 1,000 each, since several sources had explained that this had been a known formation from the Crusade times, and since other Horus Heresy novels had shown other Legions operating with Chapters of 1000 (specifically the Dark Angels Legion in one of the stories in one of the earlier anthologies).

I was also under that impression. It would seem Guilliman realized the Dark Angels thousand strong chapters were a better concept. ;)

What is interesting though, is that Cestus(From Battle for the Abyss) was a Captain in the 7th Chapter.

Unless that has been retconned, the Ultramarines did have chapters during the Heresy. Although it would seem that they were extremely large chapters.

having now read two thirds of the first chapter it now seems as though the Salamanders were traitors or at least some of them

Eh? explain this. Werent most of the Salamaders killed on istvaan 3?

Like almost all their Legion...

If they are traitors, they are pretty masochistic traitors, I must say.

having now read two thirds of the first chapter it now seems as though the Salamanders were traitors or at least some of them

Perhaps we ought to finish the story before commenting on it?

I thought the 'twist' at the end (and indeed the whole premise) was fairly obvious, particularly as soon as 'traitor' Sallies showed up. Still, interesting to see the genesis of the Codex Astartes...

Perhaps we ought to finish the story before commenting on it?

I thought the 'twist' at the end (and indeed the whole premise) was fairly obvious, particularly as soon as 'traitor' Sallies showed up. Still, interesting to see the genesis of the Codex Astartes...

As I was reading the story I went back and forth on whether it was some Alpha Legion shennanigans or someone dreaming. I like the actual reason. I really like how they portrayed Guilliman. Made me like the Ultras a little more

Not saying I didn't like it Rags, I did, and I liked the portrayal of Guilliman too, just saying I thought it was a touch heavy handed...

The breakdown of the Ultramarines Legion is theoretically supposed to be like this (assuming 250,000 Marines are all Marines counting towards "combat strength"):

Legion - 250,000 Marines

250 Chapters - 1000 Marines each

2,500 Companies - 10 Companies per Chapter, 100 Marines per Company

25,000 Squads - 10 Squads per Company, 10 Marines per Squad

The breakdown of the Ultramarines Legion is theoretically supposed to be like this (assuming 250,000 Marines are all Marines counting towards "combat strength"):

Legion - 250,000 Marines

250 Chapters - 1000 Marines each

2,500 Companies - 10 Companies per Chapter, 100 Marines per Company

25,000 Squads - 10 Squads per Company, 10 Marines per Squad

Not saying your wrong brother, just it would be nice if the authors all used the same fluff, as each author keeps changing the size of the Ultras, considering this one states that the 4th company is 3,000 strong

Archived